Author Topic: electric fuel pump  (Read 5170 times)

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
electric fuel pump
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
does anyone know whats a good GPH on a electric fuel pump  for a 383 with a 750 dbl pump carb on vortec heads  with rpm air gap intake .would 130 be too much  or 98- 110 be enough
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: electric fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
i dont know for sure but i would think thats way to much for a carbed engine now if it was f.i. yeah i could see that. but sgt on here has a 383 he should be able to tell you what he has
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
I run the holley red pump, 79 gph 7 psi. works fine for me. i added a pis gauge and didnt need a regulator.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
i dont know for sure but i would think thats way to much for a carbed engine now if it was f.i. yeah i could see that.
Gallons per hour isn't different for an engine with a carb vs. fuel injection at the power levels being discussed here. Cubic inches, RPM's, ect. dictate how much fuel is required. PRESSURE is what needs to be proper for a given system.
You really can't have too much fuel volume...If it's a dead-head system, the pump just by-passes if it doesn't "see" a hole that needs filled. On a return system, you could have not big enough fuel tube to return an abundance of excess fuel, but that's really more of the problem than the GPH of the pump. The less fuel required for the engine, the bigger the return tube needs to be for a pump with "excess" fuel volume &/or pressure. The set-up on my truck with a carb produces approximately 200 GPH...does it need all of it? No, but you can find out you have too little at a given time (shortly after a launch on sticky tires, ect.)
To answer the original question: Any of the mentioned GPH ratings would be fine. When you get into doing "adverse things" with a vehicle...drag racing, autocrossing, boosted engines, ect. things that get inertia, weigh of the fuel, ect. involved, the pressure/volume become much more of a factor & concern than in a vehicle that is used for more "normal" driving.
Grandma in an old Bonneville could drive a car for years with a pump that delivered 2-3 psi & say 20 GPH & may never need anymore than that, it's only when the demand goes up, the pump must be able to support the engine's needs. Hope this Helps, Lorne   

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »
yes ,thanks since i have a 600 and a 750 i'll just see how the 600 will work first .got to check the model # on the carbs to see if they have vac secondary
18T5C10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »
yeah i was confused i was thinking psi.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline The dream

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
Lets say its a regular driver that only likes to make the tires smoke every once in a while. Will a stock fuel pump with a Qjet be enough for that 383? or will it hunger for more?  ???
Never give up.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:02 PM »
they put qjets on big blocks but do change pumps what volume idk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:03:58 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
a stock pump would be fine on anything daily driven with any kind of carb.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
i have to run an electric pump my cam doesnt have a fuel pump lobe on it ...
18T5C10