73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Engine/Drivetrain

'87 5.7L TBI Silverado - Crankcase vent tube issues

(1/4) > >>

All_American_C10s:
I recently had a local shop replace the valve seals on my all stock 1987 throttle body injected 5.7L Silverado.  When I got her back, she ran fine but had little rougher idle than I remembered.  Then on my first time out on the interstate about a week later I realized the cruise was no longer working.  As I pulled the breather off, I quickly spotted that the crankcase vent rube running from the driver's side valve cover to the back of the throttle body was broken off flush with the valve cover.  I smoke tested the engine and only found one other small vacuum leak in the system.  I suspect this is my culprit.  The trouble is...you can't find this vent tube as a replacement part.  I've seen where it looks like others used a piece of vacuum or fuel line to make their own but I can't figure out how I would match that up with the grommet to get an adequate seal that would also not risk tubing sliding it's way down into the valve cover and interfering with the rockers.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve this????

bigben5054:
Maybe I'm just not visualizing it correctly in my head, but are you just missing the PCV valve?

All_American_C10s:
No, sir.  It's the "L" shaped vent tube in the attached photo that runs from a grommet on the driver's side valve cover to the back of the throttle body.  There's no valve on this side.  The tube has been broken off flush with the valve cover grommet.

The pcv valve is mounted in the passenger side valve cover.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

MIKE S:
I see a vacuum line missing from the check valve going to the cruise control.

Shifty:
If you can't find that tube in a yard, it should be fairly simple to either fab one up, or braze yours back together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version