73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Wheels & Tires

Old School Aluminum Slotted Mag Wheels - Extreme Makeover

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mike Phillips:
Once these black American Racing Rims come off... they're NEVER going back on... I don't really care if I sell them or give them away...

Never liked them when I bought the truck, like them even less today... never understood the fascination with black wheels...

UGLY....

:)

bake74:
  I think black wheels to some plp are wheels they never really have to mess with.  You don't always have to be shining them up to keep them looking good.  For others, they like black and blacked everything out.   Tom

Mike Phillips:

--- Quote from: bake74 on August 20, 2010, 11:12:25 PM ---  I think black wheels to some plp are wheels they never really have to mess with.  You don't always have to be shining them up to keep them looking good.  For others, they like black and blacked everything out.   Tom

--- End quote ---

I appreciate that opinion and hold nothing against anyone that likes black wheels and understand it's been the trend for a number of years...

My opinion, for what it's worth is I like aluminum because "I can work on it", no matter how bad it gets, knowing if I take care of it, then it won't ever get that bad.  Modern wheel paints are much harder than car paint and car paint is already hard enough to work on... I like a visual separation between the wheel and the tire, so a black wheel and a black tire are the extreme opposite of what I like.  I guess since I grew up with slotted mags on just about everything I owned, there's a certain amount of nostalgia on my part...

That's why on on the detailing discussion forums I use this in my Sig Line,

"Find something you like and use it often"

In fact I have an article for that topic...

It's all good, I only want the best for everyone... including happiness with their wheels...

:)

78 Chevyrado:
That's why I like chrome, quality chrome that is...   I used to have the bare aluminum wheels a lot and liked the look of them, but not the work.   Chrome needs to be cleaned more often to look its best but there's no hard polishing involved...   that's my speed, I don't mind washing, I  like washing MY truck and wheels, its the elbow grease I don't wanna use up. ;D

--- Quote from: bake74 on August 20, 2010, 11:12:25 PM ---  I think black wheels to some plp are wheels they never really have to mess with.  You don't always have to be shining them up to keep them looking good.  For others, they like black and blacked everything out.   Tom

--- End quote ---

People do the same thing with white letters on tires, black-walls out so they don't look so dirty so fast.

The wheels look real good mike!   I remember doing the same thing on the old mustang.  I had the old us indy slots on it.  I always liked how after they were cleaned with the etching acid they almost looked white.   Pretty cool!

VileZambonie:
I use wheel acid to clean mine. Then I hit all of the rough spots with some scotch brite. Once I get them all cleaned up I let the acid do all of the work from there polishing them is optional. I sometimes prefer the unpolished look. Yours look like they came out pretty good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version