Author Topic: I took a little break  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
I took a little break
« on: August 22, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
I normally don't get this personal about my feelings and I'm not trying to have a pity party but i just want to make it know incase anyone has any similar problems. as some may have noticed i took a little break from here and pretty much all social media and even work. I've been battling with PTSD and Depression for some time now but it really hit me the beginning of this year. As some know i work in a prison in Delaware, in 2017 we had a riot where we lost one of our brothers and that effected me but i was still functional. Some more things have happened in the past few years that pushed me over the edge. I've talked to Co-workers who have served in the military and I didn't want to say "I have PTSD" because what we do in my mind is nothing to what they have to put up with and i didn't want to dishonor those that also have PTSD from serving. He did assure me that what we face on a daily basis is just as bad if not worse because its up and in your face. My brother who served in OIF in the marines also suffers from PTSD. and as odd as it sound we can relate more than we could growing up. I know that I've had a bunch of people tell me "if you want to talk I'm here" and I'm not that type of guy to talk unless i know that person, i don't really expect anyone on here to reach out if they want to talk but i want them to know there is that option and it doesn't make you less of a "strong" person or make you appear weak when you need to reach out. And that was my biggest fear before i came out, I was thinking "how are my co-workers going to see me now? are they going to think I'm crazy and avoid me?" but truth be told I've had more text and message me lately checking up on me asking when I'm coming back and just letting me know they're there for me than I ever had.

another big fear about coming out was about my guns and being able to buy them. truth is unless you pose a threat to yourself and someone else they don't care. I would even tell them I carry going to the lumber store and not once did they say anything to deter me.

Just remember no matter how dark it gets someone is there to help you out of that hole. it may even be a stranger but someone is always reaching down you just have to look up and grab their hand
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
Re: I took a little break
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
Tim, PM me if you need, but just "talking" to us all is good too.  Keeping busy physically and mentally seems to work the best for me.   Hang in there bro!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »
PTSD and depression are real. Unfortunately, it's like neck and back injuries, being faked so much that no one pays attention or thinks anything of it anymore. Your words are true and I am glad you are on the mend. Welcome back.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 03:22:24 PM »
I noticed that you hadn't been posting recently. I'm not one to get too personal or in other forum members buisness so I just figured you either needed a break or were lurking and not posting.

Welcome back just the same brother. I'll say hang in there and keep your chin up. I know they are generic words of encouragement but they are sincere
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 08:10:12 PM »
Welcome back.  I took a long hiatus and this is my site/forum.  Thinks in Life happen and I am glad to see you back.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 10:17:47 PM »
so i have a new partner. hero-dogs.org (theyre a local non-profit who train dogs for disabled first responders and vets) has set me up with a beautiful english lab. his name is Dempsey and is a service dog, ive had him at my house for just over a week and we trained for 2 weeks. we still have a lot more training and testing but hes already helping my daily life much better

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 07:27:11 PM »
Any time I feel any kind of negativity in my soul, I whistle for my dog. He's cute
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 07:42:33 PM »
I don't know what I would do if I didn't have these 2 hairballs
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 09:03:51 AM »
I'm jealous as heck fellers, I absolutely love dogs, but Mother Nature decided to make me extremely allergic to them... :(

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 09:38:58 AM »
i do honestly feel sorry for you shifty. im slightly allergic to dogs and it really depends on the breed. i do notice some reactions im having when hes around but its one of those things where the pros outweigh the cons and i can tolerate them.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 09:05:46 AM »
I still play with every one I see, but I pay the price.  The candle is worth the flame.  ;D

98 C2500 ext cab longbed