73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Blazers/Jimmys

Blazer top - what material?

<< < (2/3) > >>

haroldwca:

--- Quote from: ehjorten on May 03, 2022, 09:12:30 AM ---SMC is fiberglass. It is just a method of producing fiberglass parts where there is a matched mold that is closed on sheets of fiberglass and resin that then flows under pressure . . .

--- End quote ---

Interesting, and thank you for the immense amount of information.  The reason for the question is that the other source of information seemed to indicate that the resins were incompatible.  But since were are talking about the same material, I can proceed without concern for any incompatibilities.  I have worked fiberglass before, but nothing on the scale of that which I will be undertaking.  No matter - I am unintimidated by the scale of this project.

--- Quote from: fitz on May 04, 2022, 09:35:06 AM ---Can't help with any advice, but that's a rare top that you found.
Nice job.

--- End quote ---

Thank you.  I spotted it on a truck that was literally rusted up to the door handles.  The only thing left on the truck worth having was the top and a few bits of Blazer only trim, which I scavenged also.  Honestly, a lot of people would have probably walked away from the top, but recognizing that this is a three-year-only top, I have rolled the dice that I can fix it.  In my 25 years of junkyarding, I have only seen two full-convertible K5 tops in the boneyard.  Logisitcs didn't allow me to score the first one I saw about 15 years ago.  I wasn't about to let the second one go by.  It WILL be used eventually. 

Vile, I know what you mean about the itching.  Johnny, I'll have to plead ignorance on what you have in mind for the hose.  Can you elaborate?

Thanks to all.

JohnnyPopper:
The weave on pantyhose is so fine that it will pull the fiberglass shards out of your skin.

I used to keep a pair that had runs under the seat of my truck for when I had to go into attics.

Made sure my wife knew that she gave them to me... ::)

VileZambonie:
How bad is the top? Do you have pics? Mine came out really nice and looks great now.

fitz:
If you don't own a 73-75 k5 you might want to go back to the truck and cut off the windshield frame.
This may come in handy it you decide to retrofit your top onto a 76-91 truck.

haroldwca:
I would have if it hadn't been as rusty as the rest of the truck.  There was really not much structural integrity left across the windshield header.  The bed floor was the best part of the truck, if that tells you anything. 

Vile, I tried to upload pics last night, but it didn't work out.  I'll give it another try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version