Author Topic: Tach das install into 74  (Read 4983 times)

Offline hilljack

Tach das install into 74
« on: June 25, 2002, 12:45:00 AM »
Hello all, cool site and first post.

Does anyone know what is invloved with switching over to a tach dash?  I already have guages and clock.  

Thanks
John

Offline 79Shortbox

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 04:11:00 PM »
It's easy to install a tach, there should be a terminal on the distributer that says "tach", hook the tack up to that, run the wire through the firewall, and mount it somewhere. If you want it in dash, you will have to tear into your cluster, loose one gauge that is in there, and get the tach in. I need a tach, and I was thinking about doing an indash one, in place of my fuel gauge, then put the fuel gauge in the break light openening(the light doesn't work anyways).

Offline hilljack

factory tach dash
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 07:07:00 PM »
Well actually I'm talking about the factory tach dash.  I didn't even know they existed until I saw one at the boneyard last week.  Unfortunately it was gone when I came back to get it.  It's all factory so I was wondering if I needed the dash harness to make it work and add the tack wire at the bulkhead engine side.

Since I already have the gauge dash, it might just be the printed circuit that's different and a separate wire for the tach?

I don't know!

John

Offline 79Shortbox

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 04:05:00 PM »
Yeah, probably the arrangement of the gauges in the dash, and the printed curcuit. If you haven't already found a place to get it, then you might want to check out www.classicindustries.com , and I have heard   has everything you might think of for these trucks too, not sure what their URL is, probably www. .com .

Offline hilljack

tach dash
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 07:55:00 PM »
thanks dudes,  I did get the dash and wire harness.  If someone knows about this swap, chime in!

Thanks
John

R2R

Factory tach dash ?????
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2002, 04:36:00 PM »
John , did you get your dash done yet ???
     As far as getting the old gauges out not a problem. I do quite a bit
       1. you need to get the dash bezel off
       2.  You have to take the dash pad off
       3.   There are about 4-5 little screws around the  primitor
        4. you just ease it out throw the hole ,turning
            and twisting it as you go.
         5. WATCH out for the oil pressure line and
             the wiring hardness
         6. to put it back in just reverse the steps
   Let me know how you did,,,Jim

Offline Fast68

Re: Factory tach dash ?????
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 01:07:00 AM »
i have a very cleaner than usually found 74 tach dash assembly in a 74 454 th400 cheyenne i am parting, any interest ?
id hate to waste it.,, it has mechanical oil guage, i think 77 went to electric, possibly 76. or 78, one or the other,

Randy

79350pu

dash tach
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 09:17:00 AM »
I have a '79 K10 Custom Deluxe. Will your tach fit in the space where the clock should go? If so, how would it be wired? Also, I need a dash pad and other interior parts. What do you have? Thanks. rick.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: dash tach
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
I know that 73 and 74's have a different wiring harness than the rest of the 70's models.  I had a 77 one ton and the gauge clusters between it and my 73 would not interchange.  The 81-87 models have the same plug configuration as the late 70's models but are wired differently.  If you are putting a gauge cluster into a 74 then you will need to get a gauge cluster from a model that was made in the early 70's.

1973 K20 - 350/350/205