Author Topic: Our 84 c10  (Read 14325 times)

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
Re: Our 84 c10
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »
Yea I'm dying for another 73-80 truck, I had a 76 with the 79 trim around the headlights, and loved it, truck was too far gone though, rusted out terrible everywhere.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
Those glass mount antennas can and will kill your radio eventually, stick a SWR meter on it and you'll see 3.5:1+ SWR, and anything over 2.0:1 is harmful.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »
Yea you have to adjust them. You either lengthen them or shorten them. In most cases its shorten, you just take and cut them down about 1/4 inch or less at a time. Mine went from 3.5 to like 1 now or less I forget, been awhile since I put it in there.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 01:39:34 PM »
Shortening or lengthening doesn't matter on a glass mount, its the mount itself that is flawed. The 11 meter CB band NEEDS a direct connection from the coax to the antenna to work, and the glass prevents that. Through the glass starts working well around 500-600 mhz and gets better up til about 2.4 ghz, the CB band is 26.965-27.405 mhz. Stick a Bird meter or an MFJ analyzer on that glass mount and your reflect will be ~70% minimum, and you'll probably also see an impedence mismatch. If you're happy with it or don't use it much, by all means keep it..but you won't be heard more than 3-5 miles away at best, and eventually you'll smoke the final in the radio with regular use..I'd go with a wilson 5000 on the roof, a 102" whip w/ a 6" potbelly spring or a 6" shaft on a bumper mount or bedrail mount, or a predator 10k 27" shaft on a toolbox mount, or on the front panel of the bed if I wanted to be heard. A 12" shaft predator 10k on the roof would be great, but you have to be careful not to smack the coil on somthing solid..I don't like having to be that careful.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline the_legend_1981

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »
sweet truck...are those floormats on the metal floor...thats what I have.  looks like a little rust on the kick panel, thats the only flaw i see besides the residue from the molding.

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
we got the factory vinly mat in there and then the rubber mats on each side, but yea she's got some surface on one of the kickpanels and a hole on top of the driver's rocker inside the cab and bad scale there too, but we got a slip on rocker skin for it.

Also had some rust holes in the bed, and cab corneres everything else is or was perfect.

Had big dent in the pass. fender, door and bedside from a fence post, so all that molding is gone, and the driver's got removed. It didn't come off too good and when the painted it they left it on so there's a line there, we decided to leave it alone until we repaint the whole truck.

Dad wants to just change fender, door and bedsides, then do a different hood, cowl or what not then repaint along with the cab corners and rocker skin.

Reason on the door and fender is the fender got bent bad and isn't exactly perfect as far as the right contours down low, and the door got hit on the body line and isn't perfect either.