Author Topic: GAUGE HOUSING REPAIR ! ! !  (Read 2519 times)

Offline kfoz

• Registered Users
  • ALWAYS BUILD WITH BRICK & STONE ! ! !
GAUGE HOUSING REPAIR ! ! !
« on: May 14, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »
If no one has figured this out yet, here is a GREAT fix for your broken gauge housings. MY housing(the light green ABS plastic one) had a tab broken off and thankfully the tab was still resting below where it had dropped. The tab where the shift cable goes through also was broken BUT missing. I purchase another housing, cut off the tab I needed for the shift cable and attached it by dipping the cut off tab in ACETONE for about 10 seconds, then I also brushed some on the main piece, then put them together and held for about 20 seconds and PRESTO!, they held stronger than any epoxy I ever used.(It actually welds or melts itself together) I also bended up an "L" bracket about 1" wide for the backside of the tab and used seam sealer in a tube to attach for good measure(strongly reccomended as this tab has alot of stress put on it with all the shifting into gears) I hope this helps eveyone!
kfoz (kfoz@comcast.net)
'73 C20 4 Speed 2WD

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
Re: GAUGE HOUSING REPAIR ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:41:38 AM »
Useful to know you had good luck with spot application of the acetone..You can also buy some ABS pipe, cut it/grind it/sand it down into small pieces/particles, let it melt in some acetone and it works well for custom moulding ABS plastic parts..I prefer using this ABS sludge for moulding in-dash touchscreens for carputers over the more commonly used techniques of epoxy and bondo.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”