Author Topic: another noob from Texas...  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
another noob from Texas...
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
hey all, don't really have a good reason for not posting here sooner...i knew about the website, just was too busy posting away on FullsizeChevy.com to come on over here...but they are mostly 88-up trucks over there so it'll be nice to get into a site where the older, <cough>better<cough> trucks are the focus. 

anyhow, my ride is a 1983 GMC Sierra K1500 shortbed (my 6th 73-87 C/K), i am the 3rd owner, and she has 77k original miles.  right now she has her stock 305 (runs great, but of course, not strong...lol) and 700R4 combo.  and some GM "engineer" thought it would be a wise idea to pair an already sluggish combo with "stump puller" 2.73 gears... ::).  i have a Jegs 350 waiting patiently in my in-laws garage that i plan to install sometime after XMas. 

i am originally from Mobile, Alabama, just got out of the Army after a 7 year stint with one Iraq deployment under my belt, i am a natural-born gearhead and am down to wrench pretty much whenever.  i am also heavily into wheelin (this truck's rebuild/buildup will be geared to offroad, but i am not going to hack her up...she's too pretty :P) and pretty much anything that has to do with automobiles. 

i know, this is probably one of the longest intro threads on here, just figured i'd give ya'll some insight as to who i am...if ya wanna know anything else, feel free to ask...i hope to be here a long time and get to know as many of ya'll as i can...here are a few pics of my Sierra for ya'll...BTW, name's Josh

this is when i first got her...

here she is now, after a little clean-up work...

1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: another noob from Texas...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
Welcome to the site from a fellow Alabamian.
The gearing was selected in hopes of providing better economy.

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:12:29 PM »
thanks for the welcome!  i miss Alabama pretty bad but at least i'm slowly working closer to there...

yea, i know the original concept was better economy, but this combo just drags the engine down to about nothing...with it bogging like this it can't be good for economy...we'll see how she does after XMas when i throw in the 350...maybe she'll improve a little bit...i don't plan to regear these axles because eventually i want to upgrade to a 14BFF/D60 combo...so no point in throwing money at these...
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:31 AM »
Welcome :)

I came to this site after FullsizeChevy.com and for the same reason.  :D

Welcome again

Jeff
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:38:31 AM »
Nice looking project, give her a good buffing with some mild rubbing compound and a coat of wax and she'll sparkle like..well, not quite new, but still nice.  ;D
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”