Author Topic: Parking brake cable  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MacQueen7

Parking brake cable
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:38 PM »
Hello, I have a 1986 k10 lab.  I swapped the rear to a 14 bolt full floater and was going to put the parking brake cables in before I bled the brakes.  My question is, to properly fit do I need the cables from pedal to housing out of a 14 bolt truck, or can I just buy another half ton rear end cable?  The donor truck was far to rusty to save the cable.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Parking brake cable
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:14 AM »
My '75 had the 14 bolt as original, and the parking brake setup is simple. 

There is a large main cable installed in a U shape on the earlier trucks.
- open ends of the U are connected to the rear brakes, with guide brackets in the back that keep the cable parallel to the frame, and a metal connector bracket to attach the main cable to each of the parking brake cables.
- at the front of the U the driver's side is pulled out and to the left by the cable from the parking brake, and it can be adjusted there
- the right side of the U is held in shape with a bent metal rod that loops around the cable and then hooks into the frame on that side, holding the cable forward and to the right. 

I bought a new main cable and then found some heavy (maybe 3/8"?) rod that I could bend into the right shape to hook onto the frame and hold the cable in place.

Bruce
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:54:28 AM by bd »