Author Topic: I want the best header gasket money can buy  (Read 11516 times)

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
I want the best header gasket money can buy
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »
Hey guys. I have a 85 silverado, 350....just installed Hooker Headers which are 2 5/8" primaries and 2.5" collectors. I used copper gaskets on the collectors and no problems so far (I think).

I used the aluminum "crushable" gaskets for the headers, they can be seen in the pic below.

I'm having problems cutting out exhaust leaks on the headers. Ive tightened and retightened the bolts after they got hot like 3 times. Its gotten better but still leaking. I thought about cutting the headers between the exhaust ports so they each have more flex to make up to the head (in case the header is warped) but idk.

Is this the best gasket I can get of is there better? What about headers bolts, such as ARP? although I havent had any problems with these yet, I'm worried about breaking them off.

ALso, one of the header bolts is stripped out on the passenger side, and I am sure thats some of my leak. WHat can I do there? The problem started when we broke a bolt off in that hole back when we rebuilt the engine, and the hold got buggered up getting it out.

Offline txchainsawgogi

Re: I want the best header gasket money can buy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
i JUST did mine this past week and although im not positive i dont have leaks, it doesnt seem like it. i used the percy's aluminum gaskets and they seem to be ok. from what i've read, even torque on the bolts is pretty key so if you've got a stripped one i'd suspect that as the main thing throwing off even tightening.

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
Youd hear a ticking sound if you had leaks. Yeah that dang one bolt could be "censored word's will get you removed from this forum" me on that side. I dont know a fix for that. But I still might consider cutting the headers to let each set of tubes bolt up individually, like a regualr manifold.

Got a link to percys gaskets?

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
If you cut your header flanges, you will still have a leak if you have a fastener that's not doing it's job. Buy a helicoil kit or tap bigger threads into the head and use a bigger bolt to get that connection working for you.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »
I would use a Heli-coil kit to repair that stripped bolt.

Those header gaskets are a large square port.  Are your headers also square port?  Most that I see are oval port and have a raised flat bead around each port.  If this raised bead has a significant mismatch with the square shape of the gasket (I'm thinking in the corners), you'll have leaks no matter how tight you get the bolts.

When you remove the passenger header to fix the bolt hole, check for a good match between the header and gasket sealing surfaces.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:22:27 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
I would use a Heli-coil kit to repair that stripped bolt.

Those header gaskets are a large square port.  Are your headers also square port?  Most that I see are oval port and have a raised flat bead around each port.  If this raised bead has a significant mismatch with the square shape of the gasket (I'm thinking in the corners), you'll have leaks no matter how tight you get the bolts.

When you remove the passenger header to fix the bolt hole, check for a good match between the header and gasket sealing surfaces.

ahh i didnt even notice they were square. percy's makes the same alu gasket in a round version. thats what i've got on mine.

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:55 PM »
Sorry for the cussword, didn't realize this site was for 1st graders

Offline K20Wulf

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »

Language isn't necessary to get your point across. If everyone was allowed to do it the whole site would be filled with F-bombs and the like. Frankly swearing is very juvenile in my opinion, and I'm no saint by any means.
86 K20 4x4
7" lift, 35's
350/400/208

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
Also you need to use high temp anti-seize on the header bolt threads.  That'll make them easy to remove in the future.

I've also slipped up a few times in the past, but now I have come to find the censorship here makes the whole atmosphere alot more friendly and classy compared to some of the other forums.

Language isn't necessary to get your point across.

Yep, violence works good too.  :P  I know what you meant.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:58:45 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the header gaskets. Just ordered a set of new round port Percys header gaskets and aluminum collector gaskets.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:25:01 PM by 1LOW4X4 »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »
Talking and typing are two different things all together. You can talk how ever you like, but here you will not type any swear words. Its very clear in the rules you agreed to when you signed up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:39:50 PM by Blazin »
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
It's not, it's for adults and I do take it seriously.  5 day ban, while you are gone, read this (should have read it when you joined...

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=15268.0

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
I can't be an adult and I should be banned...  permanently.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:06:32 PM by Captkaos »

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
Bye!! that looks like a permanent ban to me.  Too bad, he had some nice trucks.

We are not the trolls...learn what a word means before you use it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:25:21 PM by beastie_3 »

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:07:39 AM »
I can't imagine turning your nose up at all of this free knowledge, support and camaraderie simply because you can't type cause words. Dude....that's a mistake.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."