Author Topic: ignition.what do i need ?  (Read 4059 times)

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
ignition.what do i need ?
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »
What do ineed for my 383 ignition  build? i have a procomp hei distri #PC 6001*details -HEI Distributor for small block/big block Chevys. Applications included: 283, 305, 307, 350, and 400 V8's. Also works for big block Chevy 396, 427, and 454 V8's. Fits 1974 to 1986 Chevy engines that have the 4 pin style ignition module. This is a new distributor not a second or blem. Pefect for upgrading non computer controlled engines.

Fully CNC machined and polished housing with adjustable vacuum advance. Each distributor has a 50,000 volt Super Coil to insure accurate and reliable timing to 7,500 RPM. The 4340 Chrome moly gear will work with cast or billet cams. True spark alignment for instant throttle response

(1) do i need this also pro comp ignition box #PC2015*details-
The Procomp PC6AL is the most powerful ignition of its type available. It is a multi-spark, capacitor discharge, electronic ignition designed for high performance street, drag racing, oval track, and marine applications.

The PC6AL uses the latest state of the art digital technology, and when used with the Procomp high performance coil (PC - 91), produces a spark gap current three times greater than most similar systems and almost eight times the spark of the standard ignition.

This unit can be triggered by magnetic, hall effect, points and crank trigger pick ups. Includes a soft touch rev limiter, which does not require chips. "Produces multiple sparks between 0 and 3000 RPM"

(3)pro comp ignition coil #PC2041D*details-12V Electronics high output ignition coil. Some of the features with this coil are:

Large gauge windings for maximum current capacity
"E-Core" technology for 70% more spark energy than stock coils
Screw on connectors for decreased arcing
Excellent heat dissipation from power robbing heat build-up
 This coil is ideal for use will all high performance ignitions, perfect for upgrading from those old canister or stock coils.

i dont plan on using my stock coil .So do i just get the coil and not use the box or do i need both ?seen like i read or heard somewhere that if u use a really hot coil u dont need to use hot plugs .
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline westsidek20

• Registered Users
Re: ignition.what do i need ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:07:10 PM »
What kind of compresion are you running? Ignition setups are more important in high compresion engines.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
not really sure .i have dished pistons with vortec heads 1.5 roller rockers ...i think what everr is close to stock comp 9-10 i guess on 87 oct .i think the pistons are (kb)silverolites 4 vavle relief dished #1470+.030 i think
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
The HEI unit you have should work just fine. Maybe upgrade the curve kit and run an adjustable vacuum advance. That way you have a full range of adjust-ability, and can tune it to where you want it.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.