Author Topic: No brake lights  (Read 13713 times)

Offline Slooby

No brake lights
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
Alright the truck is a 1975 c-10 with manual brakes.  There is no brake lights, I figured it was a fuse or the brake light switch so I checked the fuse all good, replaced the switch and still nothing.  I even went as far as jumping the switch to see if it was just a bad switch from the parts house and still nothing, traced all wires and fixed any showing wires from the tail lights to where it goes in the cab, now I'm at a stand still, I don't have a test light to check for power but all other lights work other than the right tail light/flasher.  All the bulbs are brand new.  I did notice that the rear plugs where replaced.  Anything you can help me with would be greatly appreciated.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: No brake lights
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
Get a test light. Less than 5 bucks.

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
You might want to get a cheap tester, less then $15. It will make finding the problem a little easier. Also make sure you have a good ground. Electrical problems can be very tuff sometimes.
   Good Luck

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
     This happened to me, all my rear lights just went out for no reason, checked everything.  Ended up being the ground cable from bed to frame.  Even though it was there it wasn't make a good enough connection, $5.95 later had all my rear lights back on.  Also they were doing some strange things before I replaced the ground cable.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Slooby

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Alright went and got a test light, new switch was shot old switch good, no power from block on firewall going to back (yellow/dark green wires) for the brakes.  Turn on switch for lights just for verification that it wasn't a false reading and power was present for brown wire which powers running lights, so I guess it's time to pull block off and find brake wire going to block and see if power is comming in.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Is your power block melted or anything
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Slooby

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
No block isn't melted from what I can tell, just had some gummy shoot on the connectors but still nothing, but I did notice that the white wire going to the connector for the switch on the column for the switch is pulled out some so I'll take a look at that too.

Offline Slooby

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
Ok it seemed to be a pinch in the wires from the column to the switch, only down side is no power coming from the passenger side (dk grn) so I tapped it in to the drivers side (yellow) until the weekend when i
can pull the wheel agian and check the wire at the switch it's self to see of there is a bad connection or bad wire somewhere in there so I can fix it.

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »
Idk if this will help at all, but my buddy replaced his turn signal switch and the mechanic didnt tighten the wire harness all the way together on the collumn, sobit popped halfway off and meased with his lights. He had running lights, no brake lights, only the right blinker. With his running lights off, he had the left brake light and nothing else. Make sure that plug is secure.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF