Author Topic: Fuel Pump Push Rod Stuck  (Read 18698 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Stuck
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 05:46:09 PM »
Work it in and out, if the bolt isn't holding it in it will come out. The only thing stopping it is either a burr or crusty carbon.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »
The rod must be damaged or something is wedged in with it. Try taking the bolt out and attempting to move the rod with a scribe or something of the sort.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline enaberif

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
I wonder if the rod got bent somehow and its stuck in the block somewhere? :\

Offline blazer74

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
Pretty thick rod.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 07:52:17 PM »
Unless you mangled the rod with vise grips, varnish buildup on a portion of the rod is a good bet.  Remove the "short bolt" to which I earlier referred and spray a healthy dose of B12 into the hole, then tap the rod up into the hole with a brass drift and work the rod like Vile suggested.  Don't beat it against the camshaft with a big hammer or you run the risk of damaging the cam.  With some conviction and B12 you are bound to loosen it up.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »
Not to mention that if you hit it too hard with hammer like BD said not to do, you could crack the cam and it would break off, that would be very no bueno.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bcstingray

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 06:25:51 AM »
Like LTZ C20 said, make sure the bolt on the front of the block is not screwed in all the way and touching the rod. I use a longer bolt when changing a fuel pump and switch to a shorter bolt that will not reach all the way through when finished.

Offline dopeeye

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
Update:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up putting an electric fuel pump on the truck and its running like a charm now. However the root of the stall problem which got me into this mess turns out to be water in the tank. After I installed the fuel pump I ran into a clear canister to verify the pump is running, the result is shown in the attached picture.

After a few gallons of fuel pumping out of the tank I think i got most of the water out.

I do feel a bit stupid now but that's the problem with Seattle I guess, the rain finds it way into anything.

Going to get a blank off plate for where the fuel pump went and when i find a nice guy with a welder see if i can get that rod out, until then its going for a ride. I checked it with the engine running, no tapping or any sight of contact with the cam.

Now how do I make sure that I get all the water out of the tank? Anyone got a cross section of the tank?  I want to make sure i get all the water out before i go for a ride. Do i put the truck level, uphill or down hill to get the majority of the water out ?

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
Update:

Now how do I make sure that I get all the water out of the tank? Anyone got a cross section of the tank?  I want to make sure i get all the water out before i go for a ride. Do i put the truck level, uphill or down hill to get the majority of the water out ?

Your fuel draw is more direct towards the center of the tank, a couple inches off the bottom.
The correct way would be dropping the tank.......But, you probably know that and looking to short cut.
On a permanent tank I have on my chipper, I jacked up to create a low corner, and used a cheap transfer pump. In order for that to work in your case, unbolt bed and slide back to gain access to the top of the tank.....you may as well drop the tank once you get that far. The new hangers you will probably need to buy will pay for themselves after you figure in the price of several cans of dry gas you will end up going thru....

Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 02:58:32 AM »
i wouldnt run it with that rod in there your gonna lose that motor when it comes flying loose which by the way i cant even fathom how it is so stuck that you cant get it out -something isnt right .
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »
I found this on the subject...
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/37435/

read the part about the motor mount bolt.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:31 PM »

What worries me now is what causes a rod to get stuck and/or bent?    Stuck due to lack of oil i could  see, but what would cause it to bend?

Offline enaberif

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »

Yup it can happen and if so.. That cam will be toast.