Author Topic: stereo wiring diagram  (Read 18746 times)

Offline stew86sierra

• New Users
stereo wiring diagram
« on: May 30, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
hey guys,

I'm hooking up a cd player in my 86 sierra and i'm just going to install it directly to the factory wires, but my chiltons manual doesn't have a stereo wiring diagram in it. I was wondering if somebody could please give me the specs. (for example: Black=ground, Blue = Right front speaker, Etc.)

These are the factory wires i currently have (i will post them in case they were different from year to year, even though they probably are not).

A black connector with: grey, yellow, and black wire

A Blue connector with: yellow, Brown/yellow, Dark blue/Light blue, Light blue/grey wire

A White connector with: Dark green, light green, grey, and tan wire

Thanks a million!

Stew

Offline 77tonner

Re: stereo wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:20:00 AM »
stew86sierra,

I have wiring diagram for the 1977 Chevrolet Trucks, I can scan it and post it if you would like.  I am not real sure how relevant it would be, I only see the wire colors of the black connector that you have mentioned.  If you need one for a 1986 GM pickup, you might see if you can purchase the 1986 Chevrolet manual from ChevyDuty or maybe check one out at a local library.  This might give you better insight.

Offline 86SilveradoEric

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
Ok, this is what you do:

First, get rid of those connectors, but label the three in the black connector: yellow=power, black=clock(for CD player), gray you can cap off.  

Second, you need to know what wires go where.  I crawled under my dash to check and here is the list:

!!THE WIRES WITH TWO COLORS ARE THE NEGATIVE POLES!!

Yellow w/ Yellow/brown - REAR LEFT

Light Blue w/ Lt. Blue/dark blue - REAR RIGHT(I think you said you had a light blue/gray..this is the Light Blue I mentioned)

Tan(negative pole) w/ gray - FRONT LEFT

Green w/ green/dark green - FRONT RIGHT

Yellow wire in Black connector - power source

Black wire in Black connector - clock for CD player

Gray wire in Black connector - useless; cap it off.

Third, it'd be wise to make a list that explains which of the CD player's wires attaches to your trucks factory wires for each channel.  The owner's manual to the CD player should tell each wire apart from the rest.

Finally, find a good ground(you can just put it under a screw some place) and begin splicing all of the wires together.  You might want to get power to it first and test each channel before you splice everything together.  Hope this helps you and good luck!

Just IM me at AIM screen name Eighty6ChevyEric or email me at Eighty6ChevyEric@netscape.net

1986 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup

Offline jhonijim

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »
for wiring the speakers go to a place like radio shack and buy a small spool of 16 gauge wire and run it for the speakers it will sound a lot better cause that stock @#$% sucks its only 18 gauge and its old also try to run the wire away from any major power wires it will make the sound clearer espesly if you replace the speakers with 2,3,4,or 5 way speakers  

Offline gbskunk2006

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »
I've decided to post my question here since some of the information was helpful. 

I bought a brand new Koss stereo a couple years ago, fully intending on installing it in my truck after I finished restoring it.  Nothing fancy, basic CD player with detachable faceplate, LCD display, etc.  I wired it up according to the information I got from this post.  Example;

Yellow wire  - power source
Black wire  - clock for CD player

However, no matter what I tried do the stereo appears to be dead.  I've even tried swapping the wires and nothing.  After visiting my local electronics store I was told that "modern" stereo's can die (even if never used) if it sits idle for an extended period of time.  Is this true?

Thx in advance.
86 GMC C15, 4.3 Litre V6, TH400
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
90 Toyota SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6 5 speed
99 Toyota Solara SLE