Author Topic: Power Window Relay 1978 Silverado  (Read 5884 times)

Offline 78silver

Power Window Relay 1978 Silverado
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
The power window relay In my 78 gave up and died some time ago.  A search at that time through a number of parts stores did not turn up a replacement for the oem breaker.  I would like to know a source for a pigtail and suitable amperage breaker I can wire into the harness to replace the oem pigtail and breaker. 
78 Silverado LB

Offline DnStClr

Re: Power Window Relay 1978 Silverado
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
Since I don't have a 78, I'm shootin from the hip, but a suitable C/B is a 30 amp. Are you sure there's a relay in the system? Maybe there was a wiring upgrade but my 87 wiring schematic doesn't show a relay.
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline 78silver

Re: Power Window Relay 1978 Silverado
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
My GM wiring diagrams for 78 trucks show a three pin relay in the power window wiring.  Power in and out by 12 gauge wires.  Power in from the firewall junction block through a circuit breaker.  The control circuit is an 18 gauge wire to the ignition fused tab on the fuse panel.  I'm thinking the ground on the control circuit was to the relay case, metal, through its attachment to the inside of the firewall.  In short, key on, relay closed, windows work.  Circuit testing showed the coil winding in the relay was burned out, and that there was power going into the relay through the 12 gauge wire.  I put a 12 gauge jumper in the pigtail and its been that way since.  I figured it was a people safety deal rather than an electrical safety thing.  I'd like to get a relay back into the circuit.  I've seen diagrams which use one or two common and inexpensive 30 amp relays in circuits which look like my answer.  I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum has tried to this?   
78 Silverado LB