Author Topic: Passenger side power window wiring cheat?  (Read 4513 times)

Offline 76Stepside

Passenger side power window wiring cheat?
« on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
Is there a way to run a single power wire and single ground wire to get the passenger side power window to work?  I read a post that said all the wires, including the drivers side, had to be hooked up for the passenger side to work.  I am not wise enough reading wiring diagrams to trouble shoot this. 

As you probably figured, I've got a 76 Stepside.  It was not a power window/lock truck originally.  These power doors came with the truck when I bought it.  Unfortunately the original doors were not salvageable.  I'm hoping to avoid completely wiring everything on both doors, just want to be able to roll the passenger window up and down.  The driver side was easy enough, just power to the pink wire and ground the black.  I see a pink wire on the passenger side, but no apparent ground, only a black wire/white stripe which didn't work as a ground. 

Thanks for any shortcuts you can think of. 

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Passenger side power window wiring cheat?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
     I do not know the answer to your question, but have you looked at the wiring diagrams in the tech section for a 81 - 87, they will show you the wiring for power windows.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 76Stepside

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
Thanks, I did look at the wiring diagrams. It wasn't clear how I could accomplish what I wanted without wiring all the inputs per factory (including routing from drivers side).

Offline Jesse Walter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Its not that hard to run the wiring to make it work right.  You just need to run 2 wires from the drivers side switch to the passenger side switch.  You also need a 12v and a ground wire at the passenger side switch.

Jesse Walter
86 K20 4x4
86 C30 Dump

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:49:07 AM »
If I read your question correctly, you just want to be able to make it work from the passenger side switch? If that's the case, yes, you should be able to wire it directly. Doing that will not allow you to operate it from the driver's side. Jesse's post would allow operation from either side.
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.