Author Topic: Window Regulator/Electric Motor Removal  (Read 5131 times)

Offline triumphcorvair

Window Regulator/Electric Motor Removal
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
This is my first post.   I've searched the forum and I have found alot of good info but still looking for an answer to this specific problem.   I have been trying to remove the window motor from the drivers side of my 84 GMC.   I've removed the 2 top nuts from the studs and the 2 bottom bolts per the pics posted by Andre (Midnight Blues). Once the 2 bottom bolts are out, I can move the motor somwhat.  It's the 2 top studs that are giving me fits. I thought once the nuts on the studs were removed the motor would be free from the door?.   The window is in the up position if that helps.  I've looked all over but I can't seem to locate what the hang up might be. Am i missing something else?
Thanks!
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Tx

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
Re: Window Regulator/Electric Motor Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:39 PM »
There is still pressure on them from the window being rolled up tight. You'll have to push up a little more and wiggle it off the studs. Tape the window up first though. This is a good time to replace the seals around the window. When they are cracked and worn they let the glass tip and wedge in the track making the motor work harder.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »
Welcome to the site from California.

If the motor has any life left in it at all, dropping the window a couple of inches will make your life a lot easier.  Wear gloves.  There is a lot of sharp metal inside the door.  And NEVER operate the window motor with your hand inside the door!
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline triumphcorvair

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:07:55 PM »
Thanks everyone.   I'll give it a go tomorrow.   The motor is shot so no chance of getting it to lower.   I'm just glad I wasn't missing something somewhere.
Hopefully with this input I can get it out.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
this is just an ideal but most times if the window is all the way up it wont be burnt up. its when its half way up and wont roll up any more. do you hear it when you press the up or down button?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline triumphcorvair

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
Tim, I don't hear anything.   At first I thought it might be the switch so I replaced it.  No go. My BNL then disconnected the wiring from the motor.  I had completely forgot about that, so as I was digging around in the door I found the loose wiring.  I thought surely this can't be that easy? Just plug it back it and it will work.   I had my fingers crossed but sadly still no go. I had already purchased  a motor anyway so might as well install it.   
I'm guessing like everyone has said, with the window up there is probably tension on the studs.   I just need to get back to it.
Darrell McCracken

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
make sure youre getting power to the switch and its making it to the motor
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
Darrell, expanding Irish_Alley's suggestion, check for power on both terminals of the motor when you flip the switch in either direction.  If both motor terminals are hot (12+ volts) at the same time, there is an open in the ground circuit.  If neither terminal measures 12 volts, there is an open in the feed.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline jrbarrie83

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
While on this discussion, does the window have to be rolled up most of the way to replace the motor? Can I do it with the window down? Just curious as I'll likely be doing this soon on my passenger door.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
If the glass is down more than a couple of inches it gets in the way.
Rich