Author Topic: Lack of Power for power windows  (Read 7077 times)

Offline bravo1616

Lack of Power for power windows
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:45:41 PM »
my windows go up and down pretty slow and sometimes wont go up or down in one shot.
has anyone tried the Heavy duty window harness?

thanks.
1982 GMC K1500 Sierra Classic 383 Stroker 4" Rough Country Lift

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lack of Power for power windows
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
Yes but where are you looking to purchase? Splicing relays into the existing harness will not fix the problem. If you are going to upgrade the PW harness, replace the entire harness with a relay controlled harness. Also replace the switches while you are at it since they are cheap enough. I would suggest the following:

Replace the PW motors, clean and lube the tracks, rollers and pivot points on the regulators. Replace any damaged or worn felt seals and lubricate them with silicon spray. The window should travel up and down with ease prior to installing the lift mechanism. I can post a video of the ones I just redid which operate extremely well.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bravo1616

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »
Yes but where are you looking to purchase? Splicing relays into the existing harness will not fix the problem. If you are going to upgrade the PW harness, replace the entire harness with a relay controlled harness. Also replace the switches while you are at it since they are cheap enough. I would suggest the following:

Replace the PW motors, clean and lube the tracks, rollers and pivot points on the regulators. Replace any damaged or worn felt seals and lubricate them with silicon spray. The window should travel up and down with ease prior to installing the lift mechanism. I can post a video of the ones I just redid which operate extremely well.

thanks for your reply VileZambonie, i didnt think we could mention sites on here but the harness has separate relays for up and down functions on both front
doors. Comes complete with everything needed to splice into the truck's wiring and works with factory window switches.

if you could post a video that would be great or post a link to youtube? thanks.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
If you are not upgrading the entire harness, then splicing in the relays into the existing wiring may not lead to any benefit. If you run current directly through the feed to the motor do they operate any better?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline bravo1616

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »
If you are not upgrading the entire harness, then splicing in the relays into the existing wiring may not lead to any benefit. If you run current directly through the feed to the motor do they operate any better?

i dont know how to do that.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
You would disconnect the switch and run a fused jumper directly to the dark blue wire and ground to the brown wire and reverse polarity to go the other direction. If there is no improvement then you need to check the mechanicals and age/condition of the motor itself. Replacing the harness is too expensive and time consuming for it to have no effect on your problem.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline bravo1616

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
You would disconnect the switch and run a fused jumper directly to the dark blue wire and ground to the brown wire and reverse polarity to go the other direction. If there is no improvement then you need to check the mechanicals and age/condition of the motor itself. Replacing the harness is too expensive and time consuming for it to have no effect on your problem.

okay, thanks, i'll look into it more .. appreciate your replies :)

Offline aarontaylor2008

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
Vilezambonie is right about the motors and lubing the tracks. I had the same problem until I pulled the motors apart and they were gunked up. I used brake cleaner to clean every thing and new grease and they roll up faster then the windows in my tahoe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline JasonD45

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
How frustrating is it to remove, clean, and lube the window motors? I'm kind of having an issue with mine now all of a sudden

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:42:43 AM »
There is another thread somewhere on this site about replacing the power window motor. I did my drivers one a few years ago. The motor is at the bottom of the door so the glass, regulator, windows arms, everything comes out. Getting the assembly in and out was quite the task though. It was unbelievably frustrating because it comes out and goes in only ONE way and it's some crazy method of putting the assembly in at just the right angle and it's completely unintuitive   lol   I'm sure if you do it more than once you will remember but I really really fought with mine. Or, you get lucky and it's easy. The access hole is down to the millimetre for the minimum size it had to be to get it in and out and it's almost impressive that the engineers designed it this way. Or it was a fluke. But every time I thought it wasn't possible, I just kept remembering that others have done it so it IS possible. Just had to keep trying at it. Be careful about forcing anything though. The door metal dents easily. Don't ask me how I know....
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:25 PM »
It is a tedious task by today's standards. I am sure I have scar tissue from doing this. If the motor has failed it is even more of a challenge but it just takes patience, put some tape on sharp edges, keep tape handy to hold the glass where you want it. Do it on a day where you have plenty of time to breather unless you have done it before. it's pretty easy when it's fresh in your mind
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)