Author Topic: 87 Chevy Suburban Electric Window Fuse  (Read 4324 times)

Offline rcollamore

87 Chevy Suburban Electric Window Fuse
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »
Ok this might sound like a common sense question but I believe it's not. My electric windows don't have any power to them at all. My power locks do, so my 1st trouble shooting step is to check the window fuse but it's not like the normal fuses lol it's located on the top somewhat of the fuse box but it's a small box that has window over it. So how do I change a fuse like this and I do I check them. I've never dealt with one like this before only have experience with the standard looking fuses.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 87 Chevy Suburban Electric Window Fuse
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
Power windows are protected by a 30-amp, auto-reset circuit breaker located directly above and left of the turn signal flasher.  Power is supplied to the circuit breaker from the ignition switch in the "Run" position only (via circuit #300 - orange).  The pink electrical feed (circuit 76) that supplies power to the door window switches plugs into fuse box cavity "W".  See the 1987 Wiring Manual, beginning on page 164, for details.  It is rare for a circuit breaker to fail, so begin by making sure the pink power lead (ckt 76) is actually plugged into cavity "W".  Then check for power on ckt 76 where it plugs into cavity "W" and at the power window switch in the door.  Wires are known to break where they pass through the door jams, due to flexing.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline rcollamore

Re: 87 Chevy Suburban Electric Window Fuse
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
Ok I will,  I also noticed that there is  a black and orange wire w/ black line on it on my drivers door then when at my fuse box I see a tons of wires coming from the back of it then I see that same black and orange wire w/ a black line on it coming from a connection that is disconnected I can't tell where it came from or where it supposed to go because the person who I bought this suburban from has wired everywhere so it's pretty confusing.
If anyone can tell me what connection goes to and what it does it would be really helpful.