Author Topic: Largest factory tire size  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Catrik

Largest factory tire size
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Does anyone find anything close to official what would say any 73-86 K10 would have had a taller tire from factory than 235/85-16 or 31x10.5x15?

According to local laws I can increase tire diameter by 10%. According to STRO, Scandinavien Tire & Rim Organisation, 235/85-16 is 806mm tall. Add 10% and you get 886.6mm or 34.9". So I'm stuck with 33".

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Largest factory tire size
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
when the heck do you live? i dont want to move there
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »
i think our ½ ton trucks only came with 15" stock. so with that i also think the biggest is 235/75/15 wich is 28.9 and thats only 31.79.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Catrik

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
I have 31" as stock size in my papers. Here http://brochures.slosh.com/index.shtml?1987 under R/V Trucks, second last page, I think it says 235/85-16 as standard but doesnt list what others are avaivable. Those are what I'm trying to find out.

You are correct, you do not want to move here.

E: Oops, accidentally posted on the wrong section, if someone could move to "73-87 Chevy Trucks" section please!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:45:31 AM by Catrik »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:27:31 AM »
16" rims and 16.5" were on the ¾ and 1 tons (2500/2500) the ½ tons got 15" (1500)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 01:28:41 AM »
moved it to the tire section

Offline Catrik

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:56:23 AM »
You are right, that brochure doesn't even talk about ½ ton pickups but probably they had same tires as Blazers. Maybe there has been some special edition offroad models with larger tires? I hope so atleast ;D

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »
Do they go by sidewall stated size, or physical size? Some 35" tires aren't actually 35" tall, some are actually up to .5" shorter.
If you can get them to go by the actual, physical size, there are ~34.5" tires out there marked as 35" tires.
Usually you can find physical measurements on the tire manufacturers website. They state the claimed size, along with the actual size at such and such of psi.

Offline fitz

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
Does anyone find anything close to official what would say any 73-86 K10 would have had a taller tire from factory than 235/85-16 or 31x10.5x15?

According to local laws I can increase tire diameter by 10%. According to STRO, Scandinavien Tire & Rim Organisation, 235/85-16 is 806mm tall. Add 10% and you get 886.6mm or 34.9". So I'm stuck with 33".

I'm sure that we have all built our trucks to meet all local & federal regulations.
That being said, you would have to try hard to make a Police Officer mad enough that he would bring out a tape measure to determine if your tires are 34.9" or 35" tall.
When Elvis sings Jailhouse Rock, I doubt any of the inmates are there for running 35" tires instead of the 34.9"s allowed by local laws.
If you really wanted to spit hairs, I'm guessing the law allows you to increase  the original tire size (as shown on the RPO sticker) by 10%.  If your truck came with 235/75R15's, that's the number that you use, not the 31"x10.50" R15 that was an available option.  Again, you would really have to make the Police Officer upset to look into your tire size this much.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
i know in maryland you cant touch the suspension. and your tires cant stick out past the wheel well. like fitz said as long as your not doing burn outs or speeding too much they wont bother you. i was able to drive my lifted up 79 6" suspension and 3" body with 38x16x16 tires cops never gave me any problem. i wouldnt speed in the small towns and showed respect. now lets say some Barney Fife came around yeah he might give you some problems. but most times (speaking as a LEO myself) if you show them respect then you will find you can get away with some things just dont make yourself too known for being on the bad side of the law.

but yeah even on a stock truck you can only fit 33s maybe. so unless you lift it you dont have much to worry about

Offline Catrik

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »
Yeah, the thing here is mostly that do I have to keep a set of tires for yearly inspection. And there is a concern that if I get in an accident, insurance company might start complaining about illegal tires that affected vehicle stability and caused the accident even if it had nothing to do with it LOL.

Do they go by sidewall stated size, or physical size?
They go by STRO. http://personal.inet.fi/cool/nettijussi/stro.htm under "Korkeus, norm" is the norm height for said tire size in millimeters.

but yeah even on a stock truck you can only fit 33s maybe. so unless you lift it you dont have much to worry about
I was happy with 33" until I did a lift haha :D Legal maximum suspension lift here is 3", inspection guy took a tape measure on the rear block and didnt pass me. Going to do a shackle flip so he cant measure anything :)

If your truck came with 235/75R15's, that's the number that you use, not the 31"x10.50" R15 that was an available option.
Whatever is the largerst tire available from the factory in this model of vehicle is the number I can use. If they made 100 spedial edition K10's with 6" lift and 37", then I could do 6"+3" lift and put even bigger tires in it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:38:06 AM by Catrik »

Offline fitz

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »
Is this a state or local bylaw you are dealing with?

Offline Catrik

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »
Finnish law.

Offline Ladehak

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
How is that case?
I have same problem and under same law.
Is it possible find some K10 special edition what have bigger tires from factory or official shop?

Thanks and sorry

Offline 80Chevy4x4

• Registered Users
  • Honey this only costed a couple of dollars!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
This is why I keep my 1980 K!) that is lifted and 35's on it registered in Virginia with historical tags....I can do any modifications and i don't ever have to have it inspected  :)