Author Topic: Trying to identify a wire  (Read 2782 times)

Offline usnrcwo

Trying to identify a wire
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
Have read this board for many years and have received great information, but now I've got something that has stumped me and doesn't seem to be anywhere.

This is a 1981 GMC Sierra with a 305

The pictures are of a wire that comes out of the firewall to the left of the distributor.  I discovered it when I was replacing the starter.  It was running under the transmission housing and I was running my finger along it to try to figure out where it lead and it just fell away on to me. 

I can't figure out where it goes and don't have any idea what it does as I can't find anything similar on line.

Please help!

Offline 82silverado

Re: Trying to identify a wire
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
At first glance it seems to be some sort of a wire for an antenna cause it's a shielded wire. I cannot tell in the 2nd pic where it is going.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
If your truck ever had camper on it, it might be a connection for a fender-mounted antenna.  The windshield antenna won't work well (or at all) when you add a camper and it was fairly common to put a radio antenna somewhere on the fender.

Bruce

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
What does the other end look like and where did it come from?

Offline usnrcwo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I guess it is possible that it could have been for an antenna.  My Grandfather bought this truck new in 1981 and he did use it for pulling a camper, but I don't ever recall them having any kind of antenna that would have attached to the truck.  They had an old analog that raised from the camper itself but I suppose that it could have been an option that he requested when he bought the truck originally. 

As for what's at the other end, I do not know that because it goes right into the firewall and I haven't attempted to thread it back through to see if I can figure out where it would go.  It's right in the section that has all the components for the a/c system and I'd probably have to pull everything out to get to it to thread it back through and then find where it terminates.  I may have to do that eventually though.

Offline usnrcwo

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »
Here's another picture.  I'm holding the wire out at the bottom left of the shot.  It goes into the wiring bundle that goes into the firewall just to the right of the dipstick.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
Can you draw a circle on the last pic I just done see it.

Offline usnrcwo

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 05:04:54 AM »
I've utilized my extensive art skills to draw lines on the picture.  I've also added a couple more pictures.

Thanks for your help!

Offline 82silverado

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
That's an old antenna wire.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline usnrcwo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
Well, that does seem to be the consensus.  It's been hanging out in the engine bay for 36 years.  I'm not entirely sure my Grandfather even knew it was there.

Thanks for the help!