Author Topic: Brake Light  (Read 2687 times)

Offline dbolen3

Brake Light
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
I was wandering if anyone has had a problem with one brake light not working while the lights are on. The brake lights work fine when the lights are not on, maybe a brake light switch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Light
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:45:22 PM »
Check the rear lamp sockets for corrosion and the ground circuits to both rear lamps.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dbolen3

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:56:56 PM »
Check the rear lamp sockets for corrosion and the ground circuits to both rear lamps.
Sockets are new and grounds are good

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »
Are you using the correct 1157 bulbs that are properly installed?  With the running lamps illuminated, use a DC voltmeter to probe between the socket bases and clean shiny sheetmetal.  Does the meter measure a voltage greater than zero?  Repeat the measurements while an assistant steps on the brake with the running lamps on.  Also, have an assistant wiggle the turn signal switch stalk while stepping on the brake with the tail lamps on as you watch the rear lamps.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dbolen3

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
Are you using the correct 1157 bulbs that are properly installed?  With the running lamps illuminated, use a DC voltmeter to probe between the socket bases and clean shiny sheetmetal.  Does the meter measure a voltage greater than zero?  Repeat the measurements while an assistant steps on the brake with the running lamps on.  Also, have an assistant wiggle the turn signal switch stalk while stepping on the brake with the tail lamps on as you watch the rear lamps.
Well I finally got the problem fixed by replacing the socket with one from Napa that fit better and the bulb seems more secure than the other one. I believe it was just a cheap socket that was bad internally. Thanks for all the help guys, this forum has been a great help and look forward to paying it forward anytime I can.