Author Topic: Do I need to change my headers?  (Read 2807 times)

Offline dez81

Do I need to change my headers?
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »
I have been getting a popping sound and hesitation from under the hood in my 81 C-10 v-8 350. I checked the headers and see a little white smoke stain on side of first pipes on the drivers side. There seems to be some air leakage there. Do I have to replace the headers or can I change the gaskets. If I have to change the gaskets what's the degree of difficulty?
Thanks  

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Do I need to change my headers?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
The only time you need to replace headers is if they are cracke or rusted out. First thing I would try is tightening them, ( while they are hot ). If that dosn't work then try the new gaskets. On a scale from one to ten ten being most dificult this job is a one for an experianced mechanic and at most a three for a weekend warior.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline dez81

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks Blazin. I fit the weekend warrior mold so I may have to get it checked out by a pro. I want to learn and do as much of the work on this project as possible but I don't want to screw anything up either.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:21:00 AM »
It would be dificult to realy screw a header repair up.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline ciws14

• New Users
Header Repair
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 07:31:00 AM »
You may have to bend yourself a cheap wrench to get to some bolts.  It's really run they are hot!!:rollin