Author Topic: 1985 GMC Sierra 700R4 transmission dipstick issues  (Read 1007 times)

Offline 1985GMCSierra

• 1985 GMC Sierra
1985 GMC Sierra 700R4 transmission dipstick issues
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
Hello! Recently while checking the transmission fluid on my 700R4 transmission, I noticed the end of my fluid dipstick had seemingly been cut off, which unfortunately means the piece is probably in the transmission. While I know I will have to get to this eventually, in the meantime I have been trying to get a new transmission fluid dipstick. How long should this dipstick be, and how long should the tube be? I am getting varying answers and varying options to be purchased and I am unsure of the right one that I need. I bought a new dipstick and tube, and pictured below is the new dipstick (top) and the old dipstick (bottom). You can see in the picture they are almost the same length, but that is with the old dipstick end cut off, meaning I am starting to wonder if that dipstick was too long. To add more confusion, I have run the old dipstick for 4+ years and I only recently noticed the end sheared off, so if it was too long, why wouldn't it be cut off by the transmission gears immediately?

I just need some clarification on the length of the dipstick and dipstick tube that I need for the 700R4 transmission, and what is the procedure for replacing the dipstick tube? Is it as simple as pulling the old tube and putting in the new tube and seal? Any advice and help is immensely appreciated, thank you!