Author Topic: flooding?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
flooding?
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
we all know i need a new carb, and i am ordering a new one off sean, but he said hes weeks out and i'm trying to limp along for know while i'm trying to get a couple of things moved.

my issue is this:  my choke light stays on all the time.  of course it doesn't seem to initially affect anything, even after i've been driving for, let's say 30 minutes, but then after a little bit of driving the truck will just cut completely and then not even attempt to fire.  after let setting it will fire right up.  i am thinking i'm flooding out.

85 k10 with q-jet
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:49:37 AM by cwilson jr »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: flooding?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
is your choke actually on or is it just the light?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Edemich

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:03 AM »
I doubt the choke is actually working.  Disconnect it and see if it makes a difference.   Sounds more like a bad magnetic pick up in the distributor or your coil.  When it's not firing try and check to see if your getting any spark.   If it's running its hard to flood it.  Disconnecting the choke fully will eliminate it as the culprit.  You will just have to manually warm it up.
-----------------------------------------------
Dark Ming Blue 85' K10 w/355 SBC, Edelbrock top end kit with Scorpion Roller Rockers, 2001 14B FF w/4.56 gears, NV4500 5spd, One Piece Rear and Door Glass

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
Could you actually be leaning out due to vapor-lock or carb heating? 
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Just went to use the truck again and it cut out pretty early this time.  It was missing bad from the start and the first incline I had it cut out immediately, and once again does not even try to fire up.

I had unplugged the electric connection to the choke before using the truck for the first time in a few days, which appeared to do nothing.  I then took a plug I had in my toolbox after I broke down, which is one I removed from the truck before my tune-up, and laid it up on the cowl and I'm getting spark, but it's intermittent and not constant.  I would say I get spark every half second.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:52:53 AM by cwilson jr »

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
Once the engine is hot the choke won't close :-) even if unplugged... This sounds distributor related to me. Or a fuel shortage. Been there.. Same symptoms

What's under the hood??? If you have to ask maybe we shouldn't race...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:24:58 PM by 454Man »

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
I think i can rule out vapor lock due to the last run.  I didn't even make it five minutes down the road.   thinking this has got to be in the ignition.
Is the ittermittent spark I described, normal or should I see the plug constantly firing?
What else can I look at/rule out?

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
Fuel filter(s)?
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »
Everything fuel related is rather newer.  We are talking around 6 months, give or take.  I have an external fuel filter right before the carb.

how long do those typically last?  I had something similar happen a while back and replaced the same type of filter after it was only a few months old and it seemed to make a difference.  I can't imagine I'm going through filters that often.  Anyone else come across this?

I'll probably pick another one up.  If this was the issue, i still don't know how this would affect my last use of the truck, just a couple miles into my trip, cut out going up a hill, then nothing until about 30 mins. later.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:06 AM »
The no start is probably distributor related. I was just saying I had the cutting out problem when my 4 month old airtex fuel pump gave up. I really think your problem can be inside the distributor. Skip white still sells the hei distributor for like $50 shipped...  Intermittent spark? Do you know for sure if the rotor was completely lined up with the plug contact? If it's lined up properly you should have a strong constant spark.
What's under the hood??? If you have to ask maybe we shouldn't race...