Author Topic: Intermittent OBD1 Code 42  (Read 5191 times)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Intermittent OBD1 Code 42
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Take a close look at the face of the flexplate while you are there.  Make sure there are no sub-concentric cracks (rust tracks) propagating around the disc in the area of the crankshaft rear flange.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Jon87V20

• Frequent Member
Re: Intermittent OBD1 Code 42
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
BD, I already looked at it before you posted that. I'll check it out again before I pull it out of the truck to be sure.

However, I did try putting some 10w40 and some STP honey in there to try and prolong the death and it actually seemed to get worse. It's now constant instead of every few seconds. I primed the oil filter before startup, but the noise was fairly loud on the first startup after the oil change. It did quiet down but like I said before, very constant now.

I'm looking around for an inexpensive long-block for it right now. So far, the best deal I've come across is on Jegs for about $1,600.

I ended up buying another daily driver so I can take my time on the truck and do it right. I wanted to have time to go through the engine bay and clean up in there and possibly do some painting. Maybe redo some vacuum lines and wiring too. There's oil paste on everything because I think the timing cover has been leaking since I bought it. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had to rush through it in one weekend so it seemed worth buying another DD.
1987 Chevrolet Suburban V20 Silverado
350ci TBI TH400 NP208