Author Topic: 79 Silverado Stepside - brake issues after lowering  (Read 1264 times)

Offline ih8vols

79 Silverado Stepside - brake issues after lowering
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:08:15 PM »
I just lowered the front 3” with drop spindles. When putting everything back together, the steel hose to the caliber had to be bent slightly to keep the rubber brake hose from running the caster nut on the spindle. This is common when lowering from what I’ve read.

Once I got everything put back together, I started it up and had no brakes. The pedal went to the floor. Was never able to get any pressure. There’s no leaks. There was plenty of fluid in the MC.

The only thing I can think of is that I 1) pinched the brake like at the steel end or 2) somehow air got into the line.

Pictured below is the passenger side bend that I had to do. It doesn’t look bent enough to cause it to be pinched or anything.

Any ideas what might be the problem? I’m thinking of bleeding the brakes and seeing if that fixes it. Still trying to decide. Thanks!

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
Re: 79 Silverado Stepside - brake issues after lowering
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 07:20:08 PM »
You may want to get longer brake hoses for accommodate the lift to ensure there is no kinking or stress from movement. May not visually look badly kinked. However, the inside diameter could be considerably compromised to a point that there is not enough flow. If there was no system connection breakage (loosening) there may not be air. However, it cannot hurt to bleed the brakes to be sure and if you have not done it in a couple of years or so, it is time.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
There is no image posted.

In addition to Mike81K10's comment, if you replaced the spindles you also (at the very least) collapsed the calipers to R&I them.  When you reinstalled the calipers and depressed the brakes, the caliper pistons had to move outward until the pads reseated against the rotors.  If the M/C ran low on fluid while recharging the calipers, the fluid ports in the floor of the cylinder may have been exposed to draw in air.  So, yes!  The place to begin is by filling the M/C and bleeding the brakes.  Be sure to inspect the lines, hoses, and connections closely for fluid leaks in the process.  If the symptoms don't correct easily by bleeding, you may need to remove the M/C for bench bleeding followed by gravity bleeding the lines.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Online MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
Did you possibly replace the rotors at the same time and may have installed the thinner rotors? Two different spindles types depending on rotor thickness.