Author Topic: Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.  (Read 22305 times)

Offline Spool

Re: Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »
Upon closer inspection of my wheel, does anyone see those faint little lines moving outwards from the center?
Perhaps a fluid leaking from the drum- brake fluid from the cylinder making its way?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »
The eight center bolts retain the axle to the wheel hub.  The "lines" are probably traces of grease or fluid thrown from the lugnuts or axle flange following the recent work.  Not a concern at this stage since the possible sources will be disassembled during subsequent steps, anyway.  Slight tracking is common following reassembly and should quickly cease.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Spool

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 04:26:12 PM »
Thanks BD.
So, what is the proper order of operation for my Axel bolts?

Do I slightly loosen those before lifting as well?

And which would be wiser to remove first- lugs or Axel bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 04:50:57 PM »
You do not need to remove the axle bolts before you remove the wheel. Since you are investing in tools, some recommended items are:

Cordless impact, (I prefer Milwaukee Fuel) or an air impact if you have a compressor.
Torque Wrench - 250lb-ft
Brake Spring Tools
Wheel Bearing Lock Nut Socket
Gasket Scraper

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Spool

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 07:42:12 PM »
Thanks Vile. I appreciate you looking out for me proactively on the tool front, but
I’m not exactly investing in tools as much as I am buying the absolute necessary tools to address my brake job.

I have a makita impact driver I can use for the lug nuts and Axel bolts.

I have a torque wrench, but only to 80ftlb.

I also considered the brake kit tools this week after watching the video I shared above, but figured I can just release/set the springs with a flathead and plyers for now to save forty bucks.

My budget is $775 for this at the moment. Thus far, I’ve spent $210 on the jacks and lift. So, $565 remaining.

I’m gonna post again tonight or tomorrow with final questions on lift and Jack etiquette before I hoist it up, remove the wheels and drums and take photos.

With that I’ll report back, so I can decide which parts and tools I’ll need to put together a nice to have list and a need to have list to proceed.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 07:53:28 PM »
You can get a 200 to 300 piece Craftsman tool kit at Lows for a good price and they are good tools with a lifetime warranty.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Spool

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 08:05:33 PM »
What’s that, Mike?
200-300ftlb torque wrench?

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
No, I said they have 200 to 300 piece TOOL KITS (hand tools). The tool kits will come in a tool box and would be a good start if if tools are needed. However, they do have torque wrenches as well available? Don't know the ft or in pound rating of what they have?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 12:17:35 AM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Spool

Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »
Ah, sorry for the confusion.
I have a fairly decent size of your everyday tools I’ve accumulated over the years though.

Just never lifted the truck or touched the brakes- so all new purchases would be brakes related as a necessity this time around.

Had a girlfriend in high school whose father told me- “everytime you do a job, you get at least one new tool.”
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:40:33 AM by Spool »

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 12:19:00 AM »
All is good! Best of luck on your truck and you have plenty of support on this forum if needed.

Offline Spool

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 09:32:06 PM »
Alright. Hoping to see if I can confirm some basic details with you guys before I make this endeavor and lift my truck for the first time assess what's up.
Please bear with me and my total inexperience- yet, I have googled and youtube the details that I wish to confirm now.

The most ideal spot for me to lift my truck is where I park it. It's in the yard which is mostly hard ground and fairly flat. (Picture attached)
Is it true I can use some thick 5/8ths wood under my jacks and lift to do my work safely here? If so I'll cut the wood to size, and place it appropriately.
The driver's side may need two pieces of 5/8ths plywood to make it perfectly level.

Now, for the support areas themselves-
Can I confirm that I safely use the lift on the differential and place the jacks on the axel? Specifically, place the jacks right under the leaf springs to get the jacks further apart from each other? (Picture attached)

Now, for the steps.
1. Park the truck, place cinder blocks in front of the front tires as chocks. (No e-brake on my truck.)
2. Loosen the lug nuts.
3. Place the lift and lift the truck.
4. Reach under the truck with my arm only to place the jacks under the axle.
5. Slowly lower the truck on the jacks.
6. Lift the lift so that it's just touching the differential, but not lifting, for extra safety in case the jacks give.
7. Shake the truck a bit to ensure it's firmly supported.
8. Remove the lug nuts.
9. ***Remove the axel bolts in the middle of my tire?***
10. Remove the tire.
11. Place the tire under the truck/in front of the axel as yet another safety step.
12. Attempt to pull the drum off - tap with a hammer if needed.

Once I get here- I want to examine as much as I can without disassembling the brakes and take photos to report back here.
I'm also thinking, I'd like to put the tires back on after this just to raise my comfort level a bit that I can successfully lift/remove+place tires/drop the truck, and drive.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:34:54 PM by Spool »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 11:02:49 PM »
Alright. Hoping to see if I can confirm some basic details with you guys before I make this endeavor and lift my truck for the first time assess what's up.
Please bear with me and my total inexperience- yet, I have googled and youtube the details that I wish to confirm now.

The most ideal spot for me to lift my truck is where I park it. It's in the yard which is mostly hard ground and fairly flat. (Picture attached)
Is it true I can use some thick 5/8ths wood under my jacks and lift to do my work safely here? If so I'll cut the wood to size, and place it appropriately.
The driver's side may need two pieces of 5/8ths plywood to make it perfectly level.

Now, for the support areas themselves-
Can I confirm that I safely use the lift on the differential and place the jacks on the axel? Specifically, place the jacks right under the leaf springs to get the jacks further apart from each other? (Picture attached)

Now, for the steps.
1. Park the truck, place cinder blocks in front of the front tires as chocks. (No e-brake on my truck.)
2. Loosen the lug nuts.
3. Place the lift and lift the truck.
4. Reach under the truck with my arm only to place the jacks under the axle.
5. Slowly lower the truck on the jacks.
6. Lift the lift so that it's just touching the differential, but not lifting, for extra safety in case the jacks give.
7. Shake the truck a bit to ensure it's firmly supported.
8. Remove the lug nuts.
9. ***Remove the axel bolts in the middle of my tire?*** NOT NECESSARY
10. Remove the tire.
11. Place the tire under the truck/in front of the axel as yet another safety step.
12. Attempt to pull the drum off - tap with a hammer if needed.

Once I get here- I want to examine as much as I can without disassembling the brakes and take photos to report back here.
I'm also thinking, I'd like to put the tires back on after this just to raise my comfort level a bit that I can successfully lift/remove+place tires/drop the truck, and drive.

Any thoughts?

Other than that, you are spot on!!

I (we) look forward to your stunning success!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Spool

Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:43 PM »
Comforting! Thanks Johnny.

I’ll be doing this tomorrow or Thursday pending work and time to go grab some wood.

Edit- I just now realized I read past Vile saying I didn’t need to remove the Axel bolts earlier as well. Sorry about that, Vile!

I appreciate you all.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:18:20 PM by Spool »

Offline Spool

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 11:39:13 PM »
I left a question out: what are the torque specs for lug nuts?

I’m not sure if my wheel is aluminum or steel though- I’m assuming the former?

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »
I go with 80 lb/ft with either steel or...
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction