Author Topic: 1989 crew cab cummins  (Read 43589 times)

Offline SmokeShow

Re: 1989 crew cab cummins
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
Your truck is awesome!  Excellent seeing you post up some details on how you did it also!  Thanks for sharing!

Cya
Project: 1983 GMC K30 Crew Cab Short Bed, D60 front w/ LocRite Locker, 14BFF w/ Lincoln Locker, 4.56 Gears, NP205 Transfer Case mated to Muncie SM465.  Have 06 Duramax/Allison waiting to be installed

Driver: 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD EC SB D/A

Offline Pullin81

• MY86
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
Nice truck man...my friend CampCRF was talking to you about the swap and printed out your tips for me...thanks eh. Yeah im planning on starting it this weekend but thats providing i get a transmission mount. Do you have a close up picture on how you made you engine mounts? Ive got an ideal in mind but always looking for additional info. Im going to post both my truck on the members rides check them out some time...
86 gmc short box...454/th400
81 gmc crew cab dually bagged 5.9 cummins/nv4500

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
Nice truck man...my friend CampCRF was talking to you about the swap and printed out your tips for me...thanks eh. Yeah im planning on starting it this weekend but thats providing i get a transmission mount. Do you have a close up picture on how you made you engine mounts? Ive got an ideal in mind but always looking for additional info. Im going to post both my truck on the members rides check them out some time...

Ok   heres the deal with my motor mounts....     i mentioned earlier in the run down that it would be ideal to make your own motor mounts to insure proper placement.  Another reason that i didn't mention is one that i learned from experience.     Buying parts from people off the internet can be a pita.........apparently......When i started the swap i bought the motor mounts and some other conversion parts from a person who had done the swap in a truck like mine and was selling his parts.   The motor mounts were good.    The rest of the parts were not, and some got lost in the mail and other complications arose,  in the end i was out several hundred dollars. 

The person i bought them from is most likely a member on this board and i dont  feel comfortable posting pictures of them on here.

I can tell you however that it is just a piece of 3/8" plate that bolts to the four holes on the block with two tabs made out of 1/4" that come down and accept the factory gm motor mounts.

Another way you could try is using the stock mounts off of a 94+ cummins and weld tabs coming off the frame of your Chevy to accept the stock dodge mounts.  I have been told however that the frame is too narrow on the chevy which could very well be true, but i personally have not tried it.

Sry about this, hope it still helps, feel free to ask me anything if you get stuck.    -Fred

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »
now that i think about it.   I remember being told that the stock cummins\dodge mounts will work on a 2wd but not a 4wd.   I would mock the motor in there with the stock dodge mounts and see if it will work.   Im sure the stock cummins mounts would hold up better.....  If they do fit, then all you have to do is build some tabs just like the ones on the truck your motor came out of and weld them to the frame and done...

Offline Pullin81

• MY86
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
yeah ive been a victim to buying from other people aswell at a ton of money on my 86 short box....But ive got a drawing done up for  my mounts when i get them done"hopefuly this weekend" ill post them up if they work well enough i might even make a few sets and sell them...
86 gmc short box...454/th400
81 gmc crew cab dually bagged 5.9 cummins/nv4500

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
Cool.  Do that im intrested in see some other designs.      If you do make and sell them, dont leave sharp corners on them, send them in a used thin cardboard box wraped in tape and filled with paper, and DONT send them USPS.......lol.  Im still mad about that.   

Offline k5blazerfan

• K5 blazers will never die
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
that is aweomse..   well if ya cant get a duramax in there a cummins will do the trick... you did a nice job on your truck i like the rims... i bet i could put a cummins in my 84 k5 hmmm dang this site gets me in trouble with the misses lol
Don't forget the tow chain!!! Might have to tow a ford home! :)

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
Can you take some detailed photos of your throttle set up as well as you clutch slave cylinder Please :)
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
Ok i wi try to get u some tommaro have to locate my camera.   My master and hyd line to the slave is from a 90s model f350.    The slave is from a 96 dodge.  The stock chevy master is real small.   I used the ford master and li e because it uses the roll pin style fitti gs on the line like the dodge one.  A nother option   For the line is to get some rollpin to a/n adapters and make a line.  To use the ford master i had to egg out the hole on the monting plate on the ford master slightly.   You also have to extend the rod the fastens to the clutch pedal. Sry this post is so sketchy im typing it on my phone

Offline trillionmiler

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »
looks like I could nearly park my Fiero under that thing on the trailer. cool.

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

For the throttle i cut a mount off an old chevy tbi motor i had and mounted it to accept the square on the cable    i dont know what the cable is from i think it is jeep.   someone gave it to me

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos :)  I was worried about the throttle cable, I had to remove the factory bracket to install my new alternator bracket and was wondering what I could use.  The roll pin to AN adapter is a great idea, I wonder if a good hyd shop would be able to make me a line?

Thanks
Again for the info
Dan
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline crewcabfred

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »
A hyd shop could probably make it.  I would assume they would be 3 a/n.     What i have been doing for things like that is making them out of tfe teflon braided stainless line from summit.    The brand is areoquip.   It is expensive but you can make your oil pressure gauge line, boost gauge line, hyd line ect...  Out of it and it looks really clean.   The tfe teflon line can also be used for brakes. that stuff is all over my rock buggy so i can testify that it holds up.      You just by the fittings, cut the line to length, then install the ends.

Offline SmokeShow

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
do you have a part number for that master cylinder?  Do you know the bore and stroke or fluid displacement of it?

Thanks and again, thanks for sharing!
Project: 1983 GMC K30 Crew Cab Short Bed, D60 front w/ LocRite Locker, 14BFF w/ Lincoln Locker, 4.56 Gears, NP205 Transfer Case mated to Muncie SM465.  Have 06 Duramax/Allison waiting to be installed

Driver: 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD EC SB D/A