Author Topic: changing drive shaft support bearing with 2pc drive shaft  (Read 3086 times)

Offline gold84gmc

• Frequent Member
changing drive shaft support bearing with 2pc drive shaft
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »
does anyone know how to change a drive shaft support bearing on a 2 piece drive shaft?
92 buick century custom 3.3L

Offline ccz145a

Re: changing drive shaft support bearing with 2pc drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
I have beat them off before, but it's hard to do without damaging the slinger that keeps trash out of the bearing. I just took it to a shop with a press last time. Shops that do this kind of work are hard to find, most just send out the work to the few places that actually do the work, then tack on their surcharge.
1975 C10 Silverado LWB, 454CID, TH400, 10bolt 3.42
11MPG Downhill w/tailwind (but there ain't no hills here)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
It's pretty simple and straight forward. Get a vice, a hammer and a few large sockets. The rest should just make sense.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »

i thought they just bolt in place or did you just get the bearing?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:38:23 AM »
I beat mine with a hammer until all that was left was the inner bearing race. Then i very carefully cut most of the way through the race, then used a punch and hammer to remove the rest. worked fairly well and i didn't have to bring it anywhere. I don't know if this would be considered the correct way but it worked for me.

Offline gold84gmc

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »

i thought they just bolt in place or did you just get the bearing?

thats exactly what i want to get....it surrounds the drive shaft how do you get it off from around it?
92 buick century custom 3.3L

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »
As i mentioned in my above post. After I removed the drive shaft, I beat on the bearing to break it apart. It will fall apart. Then all that is left is the inner bearing race. I then used a grinder to cut the inner bearing almost all of the through. Then i used a punch to break what was left of the the inner race. Be carefull to not cut beyond the inner bearing race. The new bearing i was able to tao into place carefully with a hammer and probably a socket or something to not break apart the new bearing.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »

when i put mine in i changed my 1 piece to a two piece, cause i put in a short 350t and i had a long 350t. so i just put in a piece of 4" Chanel and bolted the carrier barring to it and all was well autozone sells the whole unit or just the bearing if its bolting in stock "i don't know" i would just change it all. but if its riveted in just do as the one who makes everything harder than it has to be and change it all  ;) or just cut it out with a torch and bolt in a new one
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes