Author Topic: 14 ff  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
14 ff
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:19:18 AM »
ok so here’s my problem I went over to my buddy’s to take care of a front drive shaft problem I for some reason tried to turn the rear drive shaft it turned about 1/8th turn. Concerned about this not being normal I took the cover off thinking ill see teeth and shavings in the bottom and there was nothing. it all still looked like when I put it in so figured its the locker it was welded up once before haven't taken it back apart yet cause I want to be able to move it. now my question is I was looking at a mini spool but I drive this truck on and off road I want to go as cheap as I can but still have posi also what about some air lockers what about will they run the locker I have kind of looks like this but instead of the ring part of it being concaved it is flat. and im a eBay sucker
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160413000723&viewitem=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330405221798&viewitem=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250601208984&viewitem=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380216903615&viewitem=
now remember this is a mud truck but I drive it more on the road hauling stuff, just cruising and a driver so with what I had I didn’t have any problems in the snow tires chirped if I took a 90° turn with too much gas over all I was happy about it but to tell yall the truth I know very little about any of these
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:04:14 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 14 ff
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »
The differential wouldn't be the problem if you have too much backlash. Do you know how to measure your backlash and adjust the carrier?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:43 AM »
um lol, no i don't know how to but i think with the 14 bolt we didn't gut it completely used the same ring and pinion as what came out of it made sure the pinion was hitting on the center of the teeth of the ring, other than that i think everything checked out fine. but with the cover off you can see the ring move with the pinion with no play moves very smooth but thats the problem its like not grabbing the axle shafts till about an 1/8th turn. then its solid if you turn the shaft the other was again it will move about about 1/8th turn then it locks up

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Josh454

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
If you want a posi style rear end your best be is to get a Detroit locker.  They are cheap and bullet proof.  In the FF it only replaces the side gear assembly - not the whole carrier.  If you have not taken it apart yet, the FF uses a spanner nut style adjuster.  So you can count the number of turns when you take it apart and then do the same amount of turns putting it back together.  You can get a cheap dial indicator from Harbor Freight to ensure you have everything back to where it was.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:21:30 AM »
well its been apart at least once since i had it due to the fact the pinion bearing was broke so i swapped rears and the rear i swapped it with was open so i too the locker out of mine and put it in the open one. those nuts really help out make it a real easy set up

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:43:51 AM »
iv read from one of those post on ebay that a Detroit wasn't good for a manual trans. also what bout OEM EATON  Mechanical Locking Differential any cons about them when it comes to mudding like how they will hold up?

Offline Josh454

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
If you're referring to the OE G80 Gov lock it's not good for serious wheeling.  It takes something like 200 RPM's of wheel spin before it engages.  Not good at WOT...  Only a few of those before something goes bang.  There might be a little slack and banging going on with the Detroit but for offroad traction it can't be beat.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
If your differential gears are worn out and the backlash is correct then I would just replace the differential or get a locker.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10