Author Topic: KillSwitch Scenarios  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Spool

KillSwitch Scenarios
« on: March 25, 2021, 08:52:53 PM »
Hey Guys.
73' C20 here.

The more time and love I put into my truck, the larger the fear of someone stealing it grows.
And in Los Angeles, that's a very real scenario.

I'm looking to hook up two killswitches and could use some help as to where.
-I was thinking one on the fuel pump.
-Johnny recommended one on my starter.

1. How can I locate my power to the fuel pump and what amperage relay would be needed?

2. I became inspired by what I thought was brilliant from a man on YouTube. He turned his cigarette lighter into a killswitch by rigging a push-pull switch:
Here's the video: https://youtu.be/ev9sPR3ZsVQ

Yet, it got me thinking, instead of rigging a push-pull switch, how would you go about rigging your cigarette lighter to...
a) remove the heating mechanism
b) push in to close the circuit and stay closed without popping back out.
This way, if you were in a super sketchy area, you could even just take the lighter with you.

Any thoughts?

Offline Spool

Re: KillSwitch Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:13:04 PM »
Here's a thread from some other car forum with the cigarette lighter idea as well:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/kill-switch-in-the-cigarette-lighter-how.686699/

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 07:45:32 PM »
I feel your concern Spool.  I live in a rural area, but we just went through a rash of catalytic converter thefts.  Thieves were actually just walking onto people's property and sawing them off.  The local mechanic had 5 or 6 customer cars on his lot that were vandalized.

I am looking for not only a kill-switch but a GPS.  BIG money in parting these truck out.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:11:41 PM »
GPS tracker would be #1 IMO. Use the club if you're in a bad area. It's a simple theft deterrent tool you can use.

Spool, you have a 73 C20, you don't have a fuel pump relay. It's a mechanical fuel pump, so you should focus on disabling the ignition system and starting system.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Spool

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 01:15:39 PM »
Do you guys use GPS trackers? What do they run- about $20/mo?

Apple just released press on upcoming airtags- about an inch in diameter I think. Put it with you phone and stick the airtag on anything you regular lose or don’t wish to use. Not sure that’s ideal- but it crossed my mind when I saw the release.

But I’m all seriousness, which company would you recommend.

This kill switch does need to happen as a priority though- LA is worse and worse- not even sure why I still live here honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
A simple place for you to start is at the P/N switch. Run a simple kill switch in series to the S terminal wire. Another place is the ignition circuit, disable the coil or ignition control module. Get an aftermarket alarm with a siren. Google "cheap GPS tracker" and you will find a plethora of options.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 06:52:17 PM »
I have used Callpass GPS, about $10 a month with a starter kill switch. It has been disconnected since I started my build. It is monitored and you can go online to look at vehicle location. Monitor services are located in Clearwater FL. I can get you their phone number if you wish.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35:41 PM »
This kill switch does need to happen as a priority though- LA is worse and worse- not even sure why I still live here honestly.

Saw where 76,000 violent criminals are going to be released from prison in CA on top of the thousands already released. Might be a good time to move. Sounds like it is not safe in LA.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 12:31:05 AM »
With our present state and federal governments, it's not safe anywhere.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 06:51:31 PM »
Okay, how does everyone feel about a wireless battery kill switch.  I have searched for articles about "the best" and there are a couple.  My only concern is battery drain.  But then if you let these new computerized vehicles sit for more than a week, you get met with a dead battery.  My elderly neighbor found that out. 

I called my local mechanic.  I know he doesn't like messing with radio wiring (was told that when I was getting a new radio).  I ask how he felt about tapping for a kill switch.  They said they would ask.......they never called me back so I will take that as a no.  :(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:03:50 PM by MY1978 »

Offline Geezer77GMC

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »
Friend of mine has a 1976 Corvette, 427 original, really nice car, he installed a rotary switch inside the cigarette lighter, had to press it in, rotate one direction however many clicks, the other way some number of clicks, worked real well, he went partying with his wife and forgot the numbers to get the thing started. The hidden fuel shut-off kept the car parked where it was till he got sober enough to figure it out. Many years have passed since then, just saying, don’t over think this, keep it simple and effective, also don’t broadcast your solutions.

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 06:02:22 AM »
Oooooooo,  all the more reason for wireless or a toggle.   ;D

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »
I just ordered this GPS - https://landairsea.com/products/landairsea-54
Here is one of their videos on auto placement - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnUvcnjmv3U

Made in USA