Author Topic: Another Grill Swap Question  (Read 1517 times)

Offline rwmorrisiii

Another Grill Swap Question
« on: May 10, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

I'm new here to the forum and I promise I have exhausted every possible way to search for this topic before starting a new one.  I'm sure I missed it somehow so please bear with me.  I have a 1977 C20 and it's really pretty nice.  I would like to back-date a few items however and the grill is one of the main items.  I know the 75 grill should work with the same 77~78 grill support bars but I'm concerned about the latch.  I have the typical hand operated latch with the lever up front vs the cable operated inside version.  It seems like the 1975 grill wants to have a latch handle that's slightly offset towards the drivers side and it has a mount screw in the center?  If anyone can shed light on this I would very much appreciate it.  Also if it's a new latch that I need I would be interested in purchasing one if it's available.  I feel like that's not an item on the reproduction list yet.

Thank you,

Robert Morris

Offline rwmorrisiii

Re: Another Grill Swap Question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:27:06 PM »
Here's the truck
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:30:30 PM by rwmorrisiii »

Offline rwmorrisiii

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »
Apparently I'm looking for this latch.  If anyone has these parts I'm interested!

Thx,

RM

Offline MY1978

• Registered Users
  • Just a girl and her truck since 1978
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 07:14:43 AM »
Just a thought, and maybe you already have done this.  What about a local junk yard or a yard that isn't to far of a drive.  Also, check some of the parts sites if you are not interested in original equipment.

And, NICE truck?  love the color.

Offline rwmorrisiii

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:22:38 AM »
Hey there!  Yeah the color is really something.  It turns heads around town for sure.

I love wrecking yards and we have a fairly  good pick-n-pull in the next town.  I popped in the other day and sadly they only had 1 square body over in the corner.  There might be some better wrecking yards to the north but I’ll need to do some research.  You mentioned parts sites?  Where might I find these places online that offer used stuff?

Thanks!

-RM

Offline bigben5054

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:24:21 AM »
If you are proficient at all with Facebook, there are lots of square body Facebook groups you can join.  I needed the grill supports shown in your photo, so posted an "ISO" in one of the groups and found what I needed in no time.  With shipping, I am sure I paid a little more than what you could do at a junk yard, but I also checked my local junk yards and struck out.

Offline rwmorrisiii

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »
Thanks so much!  Yeah I found a few groups on there this AM and hopefully my "wanted" post works.  Apparently there's a fair amount of square bodies in the wrecking yard up North in Cloverdale.  I will try to get up there by the end of the week and see what's there as well.

If you are proficient at all with Facebook, there are lots of square body Facebook groups you can join.  I needed the grill supports shown in your photo, so posted an "ISO" in one of the groups and found what I needed in no time.  With shipping, I am sure I paid a little more than what you could do at a junk yard, but I also checked my local junk yards and struck out.

Offline rwmorrisiii

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 01:37:04 PM »
Found the latch.  Now hopefully the center support I have will work.  If not I still need that item from a 75/76 truck.

Thanks!

~RM