Author Topic: Which is easier/ cheaper?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline PhoenixFear

Which is easier/ cheaper?
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »
This topic has probably been covered a bunch, but I fail at searching. I want to convert my '85 C10 to 4x4. Which is easier: using the C10 frame with all the mounts and suspension, axles and whatnot from a K10, or just throwing a K10 frame under there? And I'm assuming a Suburban will be completely different? I'm having a heck of a time finding a K10 chassis, but I know axles and stuff are a dime a dozen at the junkyard. Part of me wants to also make this truck a stepside, so I'm assuming obviously it would be easier just to drop the body on that frame. That will just be a matter of preference though I guess, it is hard for me to decide between the two. Thanks.
'85 C10 longbed- daily driver
'68 GTO- frame-off

Offline 1980c10

Re: Which is easier/ cheaper?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:30:40 AM »
sell it and buy the truck you want would be the easiest. Otherwise a parts truck would get my vote and use your body panels engine trans etc if they are better-your truck kind of becomes the part truck for a 4x4 if needed. I would explore both options depending on what's available in your area. Then you sell or part out what is left. To piece it together from a junkyard seems like extra work to me.

Offline PhoenixFear

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:40:48 AM »
Selling my truck is kind of out of the question for now, since I doubt I'll get back close to what I have into it. I had to jump through some serious hoops and fork out some extra cash to get this truck legal in CA, but that is a different story. If I could just buy a chassis from a junkyard I would go that route, but I doubt I can. I'll start looking for a donor truck then.
'68 GTO- frame-off

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:48:47 AM »
Swapping frames would be best doing half to worry about parts not fitting. get a bushing kit redo the 4x4 frame then start to rip yours apart also you need a body lift to make it over the transfer case or since you have he donor truck you can take that center hump but then you have to make sure its the same.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline PhoenixFear

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »
A Suburban frame wouldn't even come close, would it?
'68 GTO- frame-off

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
Not for a frame swap but if you swapped the leafs over to convert you 4x2 to a 4x4 then it would work just need a new rear drive shaft
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
cheapest and easiest is getting the running gear from a pickup and swap bodies.

Offline fitz

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
A Suburban frame wouldn't even come close, would it?

No, but the crossmembers, brackets, axles and drivetrain could be used to make your 2WD truck a 4x4, but like others have stated, it's a lot of work.
You would think California would have lots of clean 4x4 frames at the junkyards.