Author Topic: 4wd Still Not Working  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Yamaha74

4wd Still Not Working
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »
Well I took my truck out in the snow today to see if the 4wd would work after I got the shifter assembly back together and the 203's oil changed.  It seemed that the front tires weren't engaging so I had my neighbor watch and the first thing he noticed was that the front axle on the long side was missing.  I then remember that the PO told me that there was a driveshaft in the back of the truck with some other junk.  I looked and it was the front axle.  It looks like it is in good shape and looks like it has a brand new u-joint.  Not sure why it wasn't installed in the truck.  Where should I go from here?  I am not sure how to tell if there is anything else missing.  Here is a pic of the missing axle.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 4wd Still Not Working
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:47 PM »
Sweet...

Maybe the guy before you forgot to put it back in  ;D
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »
Take the tire off and follow this video...It is pretty straight forward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzh8ivv1EF8
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
Ok so I dug into the side that the axle was missing out of and not sure if I am missing any parts.  At this point I am to the washer with all the holes in it but can't get it to come out.  It seems that it has been turned into the threads and I can't get it lined back up in the slot on the threaded piece.  In the meantime I took off the warn locking cap from the other side and the first thing that I noticed is that there are some parts on the inside of the cap that aren't on the inside of the cap on side with the missing axle.  Also I noticed the snap ring on the end of the axle which I didn't have on the missing side.  I have already purchased one of those but I still am not comfortable that I am not missing anything else.  Is there a diagram anywhere that shows all the parts that go in these things?  I guess my next step is to go ahead and finishing taking apart the good side so I can compare to the other side but was afraid to go to far and forget how everything goes back together.

I will take some pictures and post them.

Offline hotrod24

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
Take some pics

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Here are the pictures of the two caps.  The one cap on the side with the axle has a round washer maybe with a spring behind it and the other one doesn't.  Also there is a picture of the parts that came out of the side that was missing the axle.

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »
Sorry here is the other picture.  It didn't post the first time.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
Sorry but I don't know anything about the auto hubs

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
These are not auto hubs.  My 203 has been converted to part time.  These are manual locking hubs.  I can probably get some close up pictures which should help.  It seems I am missing a spring and one other part inside the cap.  Not sure if you can get replacement parts but been pricing new hubs.  I can get Warn standard hubs for 89.00 or mile marker non stainless for 69.00 or mile marker stainless for 89.00.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »
Shows what I know about hubs at all lol. I don’t remember mine having all those parts but there are more that two types of hubs I think it depends on weight class and all

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Well I was finally able to find time to work on my truck.  I bought some new warn hubs and got the front axle back in and now have the 4wd working. 

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:48 PM »
Alright, that is nice to hear...

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
     You should know this by now ( especially that you bought warn hubs), you need the spring, gear, and the part the gear to lock into for your axle to lock, otherwise it just free spins.  Sorry didn't see this before.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom