Author Topic: installing tach  (Read 5065 times)

Offline maxpoter

installing tach
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
ok hope I get this right    I’m working on restoring my 1987 sierra classic .  I have owned this truck since it was new and it is like an ole friend. That being said, I would like to install a tachometer. My truck does not have one and I want to stay as stock as I can. I have seen interment clusters for the same year with tachs.    How much of a task would it be to install one of these clusters in my truck?   Or would it be cheaper and easier to buy a gm tach and fuel gauge and put them in my cluster.  I want to do as much as I can but I do know my limits   I do have some great friends to turn to if I need it        thanks    Max

Offline Boone83K10

• Registered Users
Re: installing tach
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
You would still need the correct cluster housing for the tach since it is cut differently.

1966 Mercury Comet - Built 429 (First Car/Show Car)
1983 Chevrolet K10 - Built 350 (Winter Toy)
1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro (Sold @ 265,000 miles)
2003 Ford Escape 4x4 - Mac Perf. Intake/Exhaust (Wifes' DD)
2007 Mercury Milan - Steeda Tuned (Summer Toy)

Offline Tazman

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
If you can not or do not want the gauge cluster you can mount it to the steering column.Just use a large hose clamp and adjust it to where you want it.
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline maxpoter

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
I would like to keep it in the dash     of course I could always ask Santa for a Dakota digital dash !

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
Do a search on here (or google- tach site:73-87chevytrucks.com) or check the projects post.  Someone detailed everything about it, but you would need ideally a 81-87 donor with a tach to plug in and make it look right, you only need the printed curcuit and the tach and fuel gage and transfer all of yours over and repin.

BTW, I LOVE my Dakota gauges.  If you go the Dakota route check out our store and create a login and email me what it is for special pricing.

Offline DCustom

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »
capt....do you have to change your circuit piece for the tach?

Offline maxpoter

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:01:22 PM »
   Thanks for all the suggestions.    I am looking at my options now.  Just to sum it up,   to get the stock look I want I need to get the gauge cluster that will fit a tach.  Then I should be able to get a small fuel gauge and tach and circuit board and install them.  I know I can find someone to hook these up if I have to.  Then use my old gauges for temp, oil pressure and volts.  Putting in a little plug,  I purchased a set of those Whitegauge overlays for my truck and installed blue LED in the dash.  I have to say for the money spent ,that was one of my “biggest bang for the buck” things  I’ve done.  One more thing, I know every case varies.  But what is the general thought of buying electronic parts like these off eBay and such     and by the way::   I asked Santa  about the digital dash:::  she just laughed

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:49:36 AM »
Yes otherwise nothing will power the new slot where the fuel gauge went.

capt....do you have to change your circuit piece for the tach?

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
You need to make sure you get a cluster that matches the right range of years.  For example, I was able to use a '74 tach cluster from a Suburban in my '75 pickup because they both used an ammeter and mechanical oil pressure gauge.  I could not have used a cluster that had a voltmeter or electrical oil pressure gauge without some significant rewiring.

The basic instrument panel wiring plugs in the same on the tach cluster as it does on the non-tach, but there is a separate 3-wire plug and wiring for the tach (power, ground and feed from HEI).    Its a very simple mod if you get the right cluster.

Bruce

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
http://gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/1530

or Dakota if you can afford the upgrade. Those new gauges are awesome
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »
I LOVE the analog Dakotas.  I probably won't mess with another factory cluster again.  Lots of nice features.

Offline DCustom

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
Yup...my next upgrade after holidays