Author Topic: Ful float axle bearing pre-load?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline 1976er

Ful float axle bearing pre-load?
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
No luck in the search department (too wordy?); never seems to be much help.  Anyhow, 1976 3/4 ton full float axle, doing rear brake job.  What is the proper way to set up the wheel bearings?  I have never done a brake job of this nature and want to be right the first time.  Anything else usually need to be replaced while I am in there?  I appreciate any and all input I can get from you all.  Thanks much

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ful float axle bearing pre-load?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
You want to coat the bearings with the same oil your running in the rear axle before you install them into the races. Then spin them around a little in the races.
I tighten them until the drum is hard to turn, then back it of till it spins free, but no looseness, or play.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 1976er

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »
Sounds good.  Do I not repack the bearings with grease or are they lubed by axle oil?  Thanks again

Offline bigchevyc30

• Frequent Member
  • the pig
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
the book i got on these trucks shows to pack them with grease so i did what it said
1980 c-30 dually R.I.P
1989 R2500 Sub 350/sm465
1984 k10 sub 6.2/700r4

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »
I tighten them until they feel tight and try to push the washer behind the bearing side to side with a screwdriver and loosen them if I can't and tighten them if I can easily. Kind of find the middle point to where I can barely move the washer. I will also carefully inspect the bearings before re-packing for any wear at all or just install new bearings with the brake job.

Offline 1976er

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
Thanks all, I appreciate the help.  I really should buy a manual I guess.  But everyone here is really great!  THANKS

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
They are lubed with gear oil from the rear end. No need to pack them. thats why I mentioned wetting them with gear oil before installing them. Oil provides less rolling resistance than grease.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs