Author Topic: Too much cam?  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Sprinkler-Man

• 80 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4
Re: Too much cam?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »
i know these guys covered the trans issue. but whats your plans for the truck? mud, trail or just a road truck or even just one that is a trailer queen?
Road truck for the most part but with a splash in the mud once in awhile.  It is rust free from Arizona but the sun has taken it's toll on the paint and interior.  Eventually I will get some paint on it but was toying with the idea of black undercoating it instead after I saw a Diesel Brothers episode where they did it to a Willy's. 

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:19:11 AM »
You're not going to need any fourth gear overdrive with 40's unless you install 5.13 axle gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
Just to add to the confusion my humble opinion is to go for a four or five speed manual. Then you are in control of what gear you need. I love automatics because they allow me to drive braindead, but much prefer a manual. And changing a burnt clutch is much cheaper than changing a burnt auto. A manual box seldom to never overheats either. Autos, with big tires and a powerful engine especially, really should have some serious cooling beyond the radiator, no problem but it's still a lot of dollars both to start and to maintain. And don't forget, as soon as the mud plugs the cooler fins up it gives up a lot of it's cooling capability right when it's the most important.

Just something to consider.

And, like everyone else said, ya really need deeper gears no matter what you decide. 3.73's don't work very good with any tire over 33". Again, just my opinion. 
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline Sprinkler-Man

• 80 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
Ok, so I decided to go with the 700R4.  After all the upgrades needed to make a TH350 work for a high HP engine it cost about the same.  I plan on ordering the Revenger series from Animal Performance Transmissions.  I have been searching the web and found only good stuff about them.  Anyone else familiar with them? Now if I have done my reading correctly I will either have to change the output shaft or run a spacer kit to use my NP205.  Otherwise I can get the stock adapter and run a 27 spline NP208. Either way I think I may have to do some drive shaft modifications for the transmission length difference.  Anyone else do the TH350 to 700R4 swap that could shed some light on this?  Lucky for me I found a guy that has a lot spare parts I can pick from. Still not sure what gears to use.  Some say 4.56 others 5.13.  I would have to change out both front and rear correct?

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
Correct on both gears needing changed. I feel the gears to be used are dependent on the tire size. I believe you said 40"? I am old school so I never worried much about gas mileage like the folks today do. I had 39/15-15 Mickey T Tall Baja's (about 38-1/2" tall) back in the day and ran 4.11's with no problems but only got about 10 mpg on 96 octane. But the national speed limit was 55 mph then. There's ratio charts and all sorts of mathematics you can do to figure out what gears you need. Just google gear companies.
I am what I am and I ain't no more!