Author Topic: power  (Read 2313 times)

Offline biker328

power
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:04:17 AM »
Hello all. I'm new abd digger I'd ask away. After always having jeep I got myself into Ann 84 k20 350 400 trans with 14 bolt axles . It looks pretty 6 inch lift 35 Toyo mts. New paint inherit almost done. Any way out needs some power. Even going up hill it tends to slow down or stay at the same speed kinda. What can I do to get some more power. I've thought about exhaust and headers but wasn't too hear what other people do to help out. It leaks it's old and has a good speed wabble at 50 to 60. I know they ride rough and I'm checking out the u joints just to see if they are bad. Any way my point is power. Not a lot to spend but hopefully there are some reasonable answers. Thank for any help.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: power
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
the wobble might be the tires. a tune up might help with the speed problem, but how is your exhaust and timing? it should have a 10 bolt upfront not a 14 bolt.

welcome from maryland
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:29:14 AM »
go down to 33s or regear..... youll notice that WAYYYYYYY more than headers or an intake manifold
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA

Offline biker328

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:51:05 AM »
I haven't checked timing. It has had new worries plugs points within the last year. I was thinking checking the cab out but since I've only know fuel injected I don't know what exactly I'd be looking to do. I thought about 're gearing over changing tire size just cause I like the stance of it now. Both headers abd exhaust seem to be in relatively good shape. No cracks or holes. I just checked all fluids, the front diff is pretty grimy but I'm not concerned yet. I'll do the diff and radiator closer to the fall.

Offline teamcurtis

• dangerous mechanic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »
if you have a leak anywhere in your truck the diff will be grimy as all the fluid flows downstream as you drive. Its not always an indication of a diff leak
1978 C10 Short Bed
350 smogged for CA