Author Topic: ac idle solenoid  (Read 5860 times)

Offline zmanabba

ac idle solenoid
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
Did a search. I am gathering parts to get the ac working on my 1977 K10 Silverado. I have swapped in a 454 and some where during the swap I lost the bracket and solenoid to increase the idle when the ac kicks in. I will be running the original Q-jet that came with the 454. For some reason I am unable to locate another one. I don't car about originality. I just want something that works. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank You, David

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zmanabba

Re: ac idle solenoid
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »
That was the most common one that came up in my search. For some reason it doesn't list trucks under applications. I don't see why it wouldn't work but I was hoping that someone had actually used it. Looks like I will gamble and report back. Thank you, David

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
I've used the Edelbrock idle compensator on a 1406, and I was surprised to find that it doesn't have enough power to raise the idle if it kicks in at idle.   If you goose the throttle a little to move the linkage, the solenoid will keep it on higher idle, but won't push the throttle off the stop when it actuates.  Maybe this GM one works better.

FYI - I just brought the A/C back online for my '75 GMC, and so far it doesn't seem to need an idle compensator to run smoothly.  I'm not even sure my truck ever had one on the Quadrajet, but its hard to tell what might have been removed over the years.

Bruce

Offline zmanabba

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
I thought about trying to run without the idle solenoid but my engine has a little bit of a cam in it and I think it would have a better chance with the solenoid. I will be on vacation next week and getting the AC working will be my number one priority. I will report back on whether the solenoid does its job. 

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
I had my quadrajet rebuilt about 3 weeks ago by a shop that is only a carburetor shop. 74 C10 350 stock motor. I requested an idle solenoid, he said if engine is good, should not need solenoid. AC did bog engine down. My engine is original. He may be correct, I don't know that much about engine fine tuning, may need compression test. Anyway, he had a used solenoid and installed. It is not strong enough to idle engine up without pressing on pedal a little. That's ok with me cause it works great. When I am using AC, stop, turn AC off, it is hardly noticeable in idle speed. I am so happy he had one and as I said, works great for me.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline blazer74

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:34 PM »
I'm running a 268H cam in my 350 and I just get away without one.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:12:50 AM »
If you have AC i highly suggest making sure your vacuum advance is receiving a full vacuum signal at idle. This will help with stalling issues especially if you do not have the idle solenoid incorporated into the mix.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zmanabba

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 10:13:18 PM »
I promised an update but this won't be much of one. I can tell you that the solenoid bolts up to the carburetor but the birth of my grandson interrupted my vacation time and I haven't been able to get back to it. I am going to try and finish the rest of the AC rebuild but with winter coming on it's low on the list.I would like to get it up if I can though since I know that the defrost setting uses the AC to dehumidify the air.   

Offline zmanabba

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread because I promised to update everyone. The idle solenoid worked great! I ended up rebuilding the whole system for on reason or another. In hindsight I would have went with Vintage Air. I was within a few hundred dollars of their system. There would have been more labor involved but I would have a cleaner firewall and updated components. Advice for anyone, Spend the money on good gauges! I bought Robinair after my cheaper no-name gauges wouldn't show true readings