Author Topic: Question about Headers  (Read 12302 times)

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
Question about Headers
« on: September 24, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
I would like to get some longtube headers in the near future to replace those ugly stock manifolds.

I am aware I'm going to need to modify the a/c bracket.

What I'm wondering is, when I take my truck to the muffler shop to have the headers welded to the rest of the exhaust, are they gonna be able to use the stock y-pipe? Or am I gonna have to spend the money and go dual exhaust?

Also I'm looking at these headers: https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-g9006/overview/year/1986/make/chevrolet/model/c10

They have some good reviews and only 120 bucks. I would paint them for probably another 10 bucks. What do you guys think about them?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:17:41 PM by boulky12 »
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about Headers
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:29:58 AM »
Those are budget headers and if you're concerned about ugly manifolds you will be replacing them with ugly and noisy headers. Those are the kind that are noisy and prone to leaking and cracking. They rust relatively quickly as well. Save up and get some good quality headers with thick flanges and a protective finish coating. I would also consult with your exhaust shop first so you have a plan in place and know what type of collector reducer they prefer to us so you have the proper flange after the collector.. Modifying the stock Y pipe to long tubes is possible but will be Frankensteined and not worth the effort.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
In my youth, I thought all cars and truck should have headers. As I have grown older and look back at the amount of time I spent changing blown manifold and collector gaskets, then living with rattling exhaust systems because I added dual exhaust to a vehicle that didn't have it before and it never fit right. Then banging the lower tubes on speed bumps and such. Rejetting the carb because your new free flowing exhaust made it run lean.

Those ugly plain jane exhaust manifolds all of a sudden look pretty good anymore.

If your trying to increase performance and plan on adding a carb, intake and cam later on, your almost better off just swapping in a better motor, a Vortec or LS to start with. The couple of hundred your going to spend on the purchase and installation of a decent header will put a dent in the cost of the swap. 
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Haha alright thanks for the replies guys.

My plan was to get some headers for the looks and maybe a little performance. Plus they would already be in there, ready for the next motor. I'm definitely not gonna do intake and cam on this worn out, stock 305. I'll save that for when I swap in a 350.

And I dont think I wanna go efi cuz I love the fact that the fuel pump is right there on the engine, and there's only one for my Dual tanks, And I won't have to take the bed off to replace 2 fuel pumps, and add more wiring, and yadda yadda. Plus I dont have the money or time for that kind of swap.
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
Haha alright thanks for the replies guys.

My plan was to get some headers for the looks and maybe a little performance. Plus they would already be in there, ready for the next motor. I'm definitely not gonna do intake and cam on this worn out, stock 305. I'll save that for when I swap in a 350.

And I dont think I wanna go efi cuz I love the fact that the fuel pump is right there on the engine, and there's only one for my Dual tanks, And I won't have to take the bed off to replace 2 fuel pumps, and add more wiring, and yadda yadda. Plus I dont have the money or time for that kind of swap.

I bought headers for my 74 350. I went with hooker headers (2452HKR), and used the aluminum gaskets. Very good results had it for over a year with no issues.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks man. I'll look into those.

Offline Flyinhillbilly

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »
I use manifold gaskets doubled (paper sides together) when I put in headers. They work great like that, and I've not blown a header gasket since I started doing it that way about 15 years ago, even with cheap headers. I do the same thing on my turbo cars, and they'll see 20+ psi of back pressure and crazy heat with no problems.
I was born on a mountian, raised in a cave,
Overpowered cars is all I crave.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:24:46 AM »
I use manifold gaskets doubled (paper sides together) when I put in headers. They work great like that, and I've not blown a header gasket since I started doing it that way about 15 years ago, even with cheap headers. I do the same thing on my turbo cars, and they'll see 20+ psi of back pressure and crazy heat with no problems.

That's awesome. Thanks for the tip

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
I do the same somewhat. I using the full length paper gaskets, I buy 2 sets and glue 2 gaskets together with copper spray gasket coating. It's the only way I've been able to get gaskets to last the longest. I tried the aluminum crush fit ones, I've tried the solid copper ones, stock replacement foil/paper ones. Nothing has lasted like the paper ones glued together.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
I use the Remflex gaskets and never have a problem.  You usually need to upgrade your fasteners to LS length bolts (they are longer) because the standard length fasteners are just a little too short.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline gwcrim

• Registered Users
  • Far from a Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
One of my favorite sets of headers was a cheap set of Hedmans I bought back in the 80s.  I had them sand blasted to get the black primer off and then put 2-3 coats of good black header paint on them  They lasted years and years. 

I eventually sold them when I bought an expensive set of Hooker coated headers.  They were the worst set of headers I've ever had.

A rare case of not getting what you pay for.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 08:44:56 PM »
What do most of yall have for the rest of the exhaust?

Dual exhaust or are there other options?

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »

I have dual exhaust going to flowmaster super 10's with turn downs. stops right after the cab.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »

I have dual exhaust going to flowmaster super 10's with turn downs. stops right after the cab.

Hah dang i bet thats loud. Did you do your own exhaust or did you take it to the muffler shop

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »

Hah dang i bet thats loud. Did you do your own exhaust or did you take it to the muffler shop
It's quite loud, especially with a lowered truck. For now I have the muffler ubolted on. Muffler shop welders here are quite proud of their work and their prices show it, so it will work temporarily until a friend can weld it for me.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"