Author Topic: Placement Pros/Cons  (Read 4357 times)

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
Placement Pros/Cons
« on: November 09, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
First off I am not trying to spread this out into several different posts but I am trying to also get opinions from people that may not have an interest in the topic of my original post.

I am looking to mount a fuel command center. It receives low pressure fuel from the stock mechanical fuel pump and converts it to high pressure.

I am wondering the pros/cons of mounting it where the original vacuum or charcoal canister goes or on the other side near the battery.

My carb has several options for the Inlet

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: Placement Pros/Cons
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
This is a very fascinating topic.  i forgot which engine you will be putting the EFI system on?

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »
Just a 350 with a little cam.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »
Just a 350 with a little cam.

Well, what i was trying to get at is does this engine have the provision for the mechanical pump/ or would you run an electric lift pump irregardless?

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
I will be using the mechanical pump to fill the command center. The command center has the low pressure in high out then it has a vent line that would male the placement where the stock canister(drivers side) good but then the high pressure to carb would be on that side of the block. If I mount between the battery and radiator the low in and high out will be in a more stock like configuration. I just don't  know if this would be a safe option.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:00:31 PM »
i'm thinking that mounting it on the frame in between the batt and radiator would make it closer to the mech pump, which is good in my opinion.  Are you worried that if fuel were to leak it might get on the battery which could spark and catch fire?

It appears that the throttle body can take a fuel inlet on either side?  i'm not real clear on this?

i'm getting a little sleepy so i might have to continue tomorrow.

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Yes safety is one of the concerns. The other is overall appearance and practicality of the placement. I had never thought about mounting it on the driver side untill i read a article where a corvette owner put his in that spot. Like i say just looking for pros/cons opinions.   

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
i would be more inclined to put it on the right/ passenger side.

As you can see, i've put my electric pump on the frame rail near where the stock pump would have been. (i know, sloppy---haven't had time to tidy it up---needed the truck running ASAP)  i think the chances of fuel getting on the battery are very remote especially if you have good fittings.  And even if gas DID get on the battery, it would have to spark for it to be a problem?  (not actually sure on this?).

My main concern would be to keep it away from exhaust.

Where the charcoal canister is would work good, though.  i am still not clear, but it appears that the throttle body can take a fuel input on either side?

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
Yes it has an inlet on 3 sides and the return on 1. Since there is not really any issues I will just have to do a test fit for each side and determine which way to go

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
I would place it closest to the mechanical fuel pump, so there is less fuel line to run TO it from the pump, BACK to the container, and BACK to the gas tank.

I plan of fabricating something similar for my EFI swap.  I think this is the best way to go.  I'm a similar setup on my Lotus 7 replica.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
I would place it closest to the mechanical fuel pump, so there is less fuel line to run TO it from the pump, BACK to the container, and BACK to the gas tank.

I plan of fabricating something similar for my EFI swap.  I think this is the best way to go.  I'm a similar setup on my Lotus 7 replica.

That's also what i meant to say but didn't really know how to clearly articulate it.

Offline swilliams

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
that is a good point.