Author Topic: Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?  (Read 5064 times)

Offline semperfido

• Avid Classic Vehicle Enthusiast
Hello Fellow Square Body Owners. I'm new to the forum and I own a 1987 Chevy R10 (long bed, fleetside) with the stock 305 TBI... just 82,000 original miles.

Over the weekend, I installed my headlight relay wiring harness. My stock single sealed beam hi/lo headlights (H6054 lamps) are MUCH brighter and now I've taken the load off the headlight switch. I bought an inexpensive wiring harness with cheap relays off fleabay for just $8 (shipped) and then I replaced the relays with two Bosch part number 0332209150 components for just $5 each (shipped). I spent a total of $18 and it took me all of 20 minutes to install. I am SUPER happy with the result.

I also have two H4 halogen conversion headlamps (AUTOPAL part number HL-109 HB2, street legal, DOT approved) that I purchased for about $45 (shipped). I plan to install them next weekend... should be "plug and play." I expect even better performance out of my headlights.

Now I'm debating about how to improve the stock parking lamps (GM2520122, located directly under the headlights). I'm not thrilled with GM's solution... plastic lenses that just look cheap to me. On my truck, they are crazed and hazy with age. They need to be replaced... and the aftermarket replacements are costly for what they are. These parking lamp lenses measure about 7-1/4" x 3-3/8". They also sit nearly flush with the backside of headlamp door/bezel/surround (GM2512182 and GM2513182). The parking light opening in the headlamp doors measures about 7-5/8" x 3-3/4" (or 194mm x 95mm).

Has anybody tried to install the Hella 550 fog lights in place of the stock GM parking lamps? Of course, I'd have to switch the connectors to power up the Hella H3 Halogen bulbs (and I would install a relay to power them directly from the battery with heavier wiring, like the headlamps). The Hella 550 lenses are glass and they measure 195mm x 96mm... they look like an ideal fit (on paper). Just pull out the headlamp switch to the first "detent" and there you go, fog lights. Plus, I believe that you'd have much brighter turn signals (don't know if it would cause problems with the flasher).

Any comments or suggestions? I would really like to know if anybody has done this already.
1987 Chevy R10 Custom Deluxe, 305

Offline semperfido

Re: Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
Think I'd probably drop down to a 35W halogen H3 fog light bulb from the typical 55W bulb too. Prolong the life of the bulb, reduce the draw on the electrical system a little, and it would run just a little cooler inside the housing.

***NOTE:  I fixed the typo. Originally read "...35W halogen H4 bulb..."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:15:54 PM by semperfido »

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
Welcome.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline semperfido

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks. Think I'll get any replies?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »
First and foremost, substituting fog lamps for park/turn lamps is illegal.  Depending on where you operate the truck, you might get to know law enforcement on a first name basis.  Secondly, the factory lamps are dual-filament park and turn lamps.  The Hella fog lamps are configured for single-filament H3 globes.  An H4 globe will not fit the lamp opening and the H4 filament heights will not be correctly positioned for the mirror curvature.  How are going to make that work?  IMHO, it is a bad idea.

On the headlamps, consider Auxbeam H4 9003 LED bulbs instead of halogens.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline semperfido

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
Of course, you're right, three wires running into that parking lamp connector. The smarter way to do this would be to run the square parking/directional lamps behind the grill in the lower corners... just like the trucks with four headlights (separate hi and lo beams).

The Hella 550 fog lamps could still occupy the space where the original parking lamp existed. Not sure what you mean about "An H4 globe will not fit the lamp opening and the H4 filament heights will not be correctly positioned for the mirror curvature." The Hella 550 fog lamps (H3 Halogen bulbs) are complete assemblies with their own reflectors, designed for the H3 bulb filaments. If the Hella assemblies fit inside the old parking light space, I may be good to go. I could be wrong but I am not aware of any statute that states that fog lamps must be located at a position "inside" (between) the parking lamps (one statute states that fog lamps must "Be mounted ...so the inner edge of the lens retaining ring is no closer than four inches to the optical center of the front turn signal lamp to provide illumination in front of the vehicle under conditions of rain, snow, dust or fog."). They would be located just above the bumper so I don't think that height would be an issue (one statute states "Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands..." and "Lighted fog lamps ...may be used with lower head lamp beams."). In my case, the Hella 550 fog lamps would be located at a height about 24" to the bottom of the lens (I measured). The Washington State statutes also allow for white or amber fog lamp lenses. All of that said, I understand that fog lamps are altogether illegal in some states. (I also understand, for that reason alone, some "naysayers" will love to chime in with negative comments.)

Let's be clear (pun intended), I have not made the decision yet to try the Hella 550 fog lamps. In fact, I would be thrilled to keep the stock parking lights if somebody just made quality borosilicate glass lenses for them. I'm just kicking around ideas for the sake of speculation.

As for the LED headlights, I'm not a fan. The 6000K color is too white/blue for my taste. Also, as far as I can tell, the Auxbeam product that you directed me to doesn't talk about DOT approval or legality. You can't have it both ways, commenting on the legality of fog lights and then ignoring the legality of a particular LED headlight product.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
Has anybody tried to install the Hella 550 fog lights in place of the stock GM parking lamps? Of course, I'd have to switch the connectors to power up the Hella H3 Halogen bulbs (and I would install a relay to power them directly from the battery with heavier wiring, like the headlamps). The Hella 550 lenses are glass and they measure 195mm x 96mm... they look like an ideal fit (on paper). Just pull out the headlamp switch to the first "detent" and there you go, fog lights. Plus, I believe that you'd have much brighter turn signals (don't know if it would cause problems with the flasher).
Think I'd probably drop down to a 35W halogen H4 bulb from the typical 55W bulb too. Prolong the life of the bulb, reduce the draw on the electrical system a little, and it would run just a little cooler inside the housing.

I misunderstood.  I foolishly interpreted your followup comment to be a continuation of the "fog lamp" topic in your initial post and that you were thinking of retrofitting the fog lamps with 35-watt H4 bulbs.  On subsequent read, I grasp your intended meaning.

Unless you've down-powered headlamps before and are satisfied with the loss of illumination, I suspect you will be disappointed in 35-watt bulbs.  The headlamp housings and electrical system will easily handle the 55-/60-watt (stock) power consumption of the H4 bulbs.  Heat sinking issues can arise when upgrading to 80-/100-watt bulbs for off-highway use; not a concern for your application.

As far as I can tell, the Auxbeam product that you directed me to doesn't talk about DOT approval or legality. You can't have it both ways, commenting on the legality of fog lights and then ignoring the legality of a particular LED headlight product.

The linked Auxbeam LEDs are DOT compliant or I would not recommend them for highway applications.  I use them in my Cherokee and am thrilled with their performance - sharp cutoff, even blanket of light with no hot or cold spots, decent peripheral illumination, silent (no cooling fan), daylight white (not blue), providing excellent visibility without glare or blinding oncoming drivers and cyclists. 

As long as you maintain a suitable park/turn lamp and mount your auxiliary fog lamps in compliance with local law you should enjoy good use of them.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline semperfido

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »
Of course, you are correct again. I meant to suggest that I would probably run 35W H3 fog lamp bulbs in the Hella 550 fog lamp housings (potentially installed in the original truck parking lamp locations directly under the single hi/lo headlamps [which would be H4 Halogens]). I simply mis-typed. 35W bulbs would be plenty bright enough for auxiliary lighting (especially fog lights). In fact, that's what I run in my '66 Mustang fog lights. I'm not so much worried about the robustness of the truck wiring or electrical system (after all, I'll be running a new harness with a relay); I'm more inclined to "play it safe" with regard to fog light lamp life and preserving the glass lenses (plus, "more" is not always "better" when it comes to throwing light out in front of a vehicle with oncoming traffic). Fog lights should only cast a beam a relatively short distance (in a low, wide pattern) when compared to headlights.

Regarding the legality of the specific LED headlights that you suggested, where did you find that statement? I searched high and low, with no luck. Lots of questionable reviews on that product too. They make it VERY difficult to find this information, in my opinion. Raises red flags for me. I believe that I ran across a post that claims that they are a Chinese company? If that's true, I have another reason to question their claims. I stand by my statement that LED headlights are not for me... many LEDs are great as signal lighting (make sure that you're selecting DOT approved stuff from trusted names including Philips or Sylvania) and some select LED products are good for interior lighting but there are too many "shady" LED headlight manufacturers out there. A great deal of engineering goes into designing regulatory compliant headlights with optimal beam patterns and frankly, just about any monkey with a soldering iron and access to cheap components from China through Alibaba (or even Amazon these days) can hobble together an "LED headlight." I'd rather not get pulled over and then have to prove to a judge that the AuxBeam LED headlights are legal (nor do I necessarily want to get to know local law enforcement on a first-name basis, as you mentioned ;0)  AuxBeam doesn't maintain a typical "Legal" web page that I can find on their website, except for a "Conditions of Use" page that makes some disconcerting statements including "Neither AuxBeam nor its Associates warrant the accuracy, integrity or completeness of the content provided on the AuxBeam Web site or the products or services offered for sale on the AuxBeam Web site. AuxBeam and its Associates specifically disclaim all warranties, whether expressed or implied, including but not limited to warranties of title, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose." I also checked out their FAQs page... absolutely no mention of DOT approval or legal highway use. Strange because that is exactly what I would expect to find in the FAQs.

Just my humble opinion (as a seasoned DoD engineer).

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
Run the 81 bumper with the fog lights in the bumper
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline semperfido

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
Thank you sincerely for the suggestion but I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of that bumper solution. Plus, there's the significant added cost. Still not sure that I'm going to run Hella 550 fog lamps where my parking lights used to exist, but the idea is still intriguing to me. Definitely don't care for the look of the ugly plastic parking light lens right under my sharp glass headlights.

Offline semperfido

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:12:38 PM »
Also, the holes for the lights in that bumper measure 3" x 8" correct? I've read several posts... did anybody ever find decent fog lights in that size? I still think that it would be easier, cheaper, and more attractive to put the Hella 550 fog lights where the parking lights currently exists (at least in an '87 with single hi/lo headlights).

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
They sell 3 versions, 1 stock with the holes for the signals, 1 with round fog lights plus the holes for the signals and 1 with custom fog lights in the bumper. The latter looks great imo
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline semperfido

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 08:47:23 PM »
The cost of fog lights plus the cost of the bumper with holes for custom fog lights turns me off a bit. Also, I couldn't find a reply to the posts asking forum members which fog light kit make and model fits these bumpers. There must be a specific make and model fog light kit? The manufacturer wouldn't make a bumper with random-sized holes for the lights, correct?

Offline roundhouse

Replace Parking Lights with Hella 550 Fog Lamps on an '87 R10?
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
What liberal states do y’all live in that care about headlights other than
A: they light up
And
B: don’t blind oncoming cop cars ?

OP
Have you tried new plastic lenses ?
New ones will have to look better than 40 yr old ones

Offline semperfido

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
Currently, I'm in New Jersey. The cops have pulled me over twice already... once because they claimed that my headlight was out (it wasn't, just dim... that's why I installed the relay harness, and now my H4 conversion headlights)... second time because they claimed that I had a brake light out (it wasn't, just dim again... I replaced my tail light lenses and bulbs).

As for replacing the parking lights, yes, I could do that. However, I don't like the cheap looks of those Asian aftermarket parts and they are overpriced for what they are. I've just been kicking around alternative ideas. Also, I'm headed for Seattle and I figure that fog lights will come in handy.