Author Topic: CD player install in my '73  (Read 6981 times)

Offline 73CustomDeluxe

CD player install in my '73
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
So i finally got around to putting a cd player in my truck. It wasn't easy and took 3 days but i managed to get it in there in one piece and i think it turned out pretty good. I actually bought the cd player for my dads 1993 gmc van a few years ago when i was driving it but i decided i wanted it in the truck.

so here's what it started out as. The Tape deck wasn't very good. It was a $10 special at a general store from three or four years ago so it was time to go.

so Here's the bezel before i started cutting. I used a rotrary cut off tool.

and the finished product (at the time)

now that thats done it was on to the hard part. The dash behind the bezel. Here it was before i started

and after i was done cutting

when i got here i hit a problem. How was i gonna mount it? originally i had planned for just the face plate to stick out but then i realized there was nothing behind it to mount it on. I wound up cutting down and using the mounting adapter from the '93 gmc van. needless to say i did more cutting on it than anything. So here's the adapter

and here's the result. I wound up having to cut a lot more out of the bezel to get the adapter to fit but i think it looks OK. I'm going to try to paint the metal behind it black so it will blend in. But, i think it went real well especially seeing as that it was my first time to use a rotary tool.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:50:43 AM by 73CustomDeluxe »

1973 Chevy Custom Deluxe LWB
Every time i tear into my truck it reminds me that it's 38 years old. Most of the time it's a good feeling. Others....

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: CD player install in my '73
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
      So it does play your cd's right ?  Thats the real test, and as long as you are happy with it.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 73CustomDeluxe

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:04 PM »
Well, i havent wired it in yet lol. The harness is still in my dads van plus He is really good at souldering so i'm going to have him show me how to do it hopefully this weekend. But last time i used it it worked perfectly fine and i'm happy

Every time i tear into my truck it reminds me that it's 38 years old. Most of the time it's a good feeling. Others....

Offline hotrod24

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
Looks good man...
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline 73CustomDeluxe

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
Thanks

Offline modular93fox

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
1987 5.3 4l60e Silverado - daily driver with A/C,P/W,P/L,TILT, HID projectors & 13.8" Rear Disc Brakes
A poor man buy's it twice