Author Topic: Charging system  (Read 11146 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Charging system
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
Vile, I did actually find my issue; it was a wire short.  Indeed, I did have the alt. rebuilt for $40 with all internals replaced.  I've known the guy who rebuilt it for 20 years, he's well know in the city I live in and has an impeccable reputation.  So....the issue was not an alternator half-a** job, it was a short. 
You can buy a cheap reman for $38 bucks from Autozone but cheaper isn't better. Get a quality reman unit. Just the diode trio and rectifier bridge would cost you $30 bucks. Another $10 bucks for brushes another $10 bucks for bearings etc. It's just not worth rebuilding them anymore.

I paid $40 to have it rebuilt which is cheaper than a reman.  Everything was replaced internally. 

I will go over my wiring again and I'll try the jumper wire tip.  I keep everything in perfect working order on the truck and wires are in proper looms, not oily and basically in great mech. shape.
Thanks Vile but right now my issue or problem is charging not if I should rebuild the alternator or by a reman.

OK so why do you think I posted that? Do you really think you had all of your internal components replaced parts and labor for $40 bucks? Your problem sounds like the voltage regulator. Either take it back to him or replace it.
true... test the alt with a multimeter... should be about 13 volts... definitely not 10 volts... if its not 13 then the alternator isn´t good... there should be a warranty with the alternator...

Do tell!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10