Author Topic: Ignition switch question  (Read 21619 times)

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
Re: Ignition switch question
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
After reading the manual, it appears that everything moving is on the left of the column, but nothing is happening on the top of the column.  It appears that is where the issue lies.  I think I have to remove the casting on top that is just below the switch.   I bought the special tool for that, but I'm getting concerned I'm so deep into this I will never get it back together.  I think that housing comes off if you remove the two special screws on each side.  At this point do I consider a new column or is the issue still fixable?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:55 AM »
It's repairable.  Carefully follow "How To: Fixing a Sloppy GM Tilt Column" or go to Guide to GM Saginaw steering column rebuild and click on "Media: Jazzman Steering Rack Rebuild.pdf."  The references are step-by-step guides that list all the tools you will need and walk you through the repair process. 

Take lots of pictures as you disassemble the column, especially of how the moving mechanisms and gear rack fit together.  Have a partitioned box, tray or empty egg carton at hand to keep your small parts organized.  Add the parts to the tray in a logical order, say, from left to right, top to bottom.  Label the parts as you place them in the tray if it helps you.  Then reverse the order as you remove the parts from the tray to reassemble the column.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »
I'm making progress on this project and I've found the issue, the problem is what Jazzman showed at the end of is document (which BTW was incredibly well done).  This part is broken and the bottom end loop is broken off.
***most auto parts stores carry Dorman products under different name brands
HELP 83211
Pik-A-Nut 383211
or NAPA 6202246****
To actually replace this, I need to remove the upper housing as Jazzman shows on page 30, I have removed the pivot pins but I can't get the upper housing off.  It looks like there is a pin to pound out on top, but it doesn't move. Page 29 shows the part exactly.  How do I pull this housing off?  It moves and pivots up, but his document doesn't show removing anything else to get this off so I'm in need of help again.
Assuming I can get it off can I replace the ignition actuator rack or is there more broken that I can't see. 
As before, I so appreciate the help you have provided, thanks BD.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Are you referring to the pivot pin that retains the two tilt locking pawls on the very top of the housing or the lock plate pin that runs parallel to the steering shaft?  The pair of locking pawls and their pin don't need to be removed.  Have you removed the tilt spring (pg 37)?  Have you studied the appropriate section of the 1986 Service Manual?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the late night response.  I got it off by pulling the tilt lever and moving the casting off.  Wasn't too tuff.  Now I just need to get the replacement part and see how easy it goes in.  hopefully its just the ignition actuator lever that's broken and nothing else.  we'll see how easy it all goes back together.  A month without the truck is killing me, especially with winter coming soon.  thanks again!!!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
The hardest part of getting it back together is timing the rack and pinion and keeping the dimmer pushrod in place - lol.  It's not too difficult.  Patients is the key.
Rich

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »
My truck is back on the road today thanks to the help of BD and Jazzman's very detailed document on how to tear down a GM steering column.  This forum is awesome and when guys like bd go the extra mile to help people out they don't even know, that makes it even better.  Until next time, enjoy your squarebody C10, I know I will.   8)

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
Quote: "My truck is back on the road today thanks to the help of BD and Jazzman's very detailed document on how to tear down a GM steering column."

Yes, I wish I had thought to tell him about Jazzman.