Author Topic: Superbright LED's  (Read 8003 times)

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
Superbright LED's
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Well a couple weeks ago I ordered some LED's from superbrightleds.com.  I got a chance to install most of them this afternoon. 

First of all their website made it all a breeze.  Punch in the year, make and model of vehicle and it lists all the options for particular lights on the vehicle. 

Some of the bulbs I got were:

1157 - dual intensity, ambers for the front signal/park lights and red for the tail/brake lights.  The ambers were 18 LED and the reds were 45 LED.
168 - wedge style bulbs for markers.  They were all 5 LED lights and again I ordered amber for front side markers, cab markers and the dual fender markers.  Then the reds for the rear dual fender markers but I forgot to order enough reds to replace the 5 bulbs in the tailgate markers.
211-2 - This one was a festoon bulb I wanted to try out for the interior light, 9 LEDs on this one.

I had a couple pictures of the truck in the dark with the clearance/park lights on, but I haven't checked it in the dark with the LED's just yet.  I don't doubt there will be a noticeable difference, because I could even see the difference during the afternoon.

The ones I'm a little leery about are the front markers on the dual fenders, if they are too bright they might be a little annoying in the mirrors at night.

Also, in case anyone is curious, the flasher isn't affected when using LED's.  They work just as a normal incandescent bulb would work.  I only bring it up because some vehicles will not have proper signal light function with LED's and require resistors or upgraded flasher units.

I hope to post some comparison pictures a bit later, but for now I thought I would just share my experience in case anyone was thinking about switching to LED's.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
Re: Superbright LED's
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Glad to hear the signals aren't affected by the led upgrade. This makes it a plug and play for us diy guys. I am interested in pics. Since I will spend sometime driving in the dark I will need some bright markers and tail lights, so no one can have that ole I didn't see him excuse

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:10:34 AM »
     It would be interesting to see the difference in your pics of before and after shots.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
So these are the "before" pictures:

And these are the "after" pictures with the LED's installed:

And this is how the interior light looks:

I'm not sure how noticeable it will be to most people in the pictures, but it's definately noticeable in real life.  I think the biggest difference comes from the tail/signals and the front park/signal lights as they had the largest LED bulbs.

I am a little disappointed in the interior light though.  It is nice and bright and clear, but it seems more concentrated in the centre of the cab and less spread out like the old bulb was.  I also don't have a cover for it, perhaps that would help disperse the light a little more?

I think I could use some licence plate lights and perhaps get myself the correct bulbs for my reverse lights as well.

I am still pleased though, especially at the ease of install considering I didn't have to change the flasher or add resistors.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
Man those light great

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
     You can tell the difference between the before and after pics, they are brighter.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
I order from them from time to time. My truck is also running mostly LEDs and so is my 'stang. The side markers are not too bright imo.

SSapach, what number festoon bulb is that in your interior light? I got an LED one as well but it seems a little dim.

The only LEDs they sell that I would stay away from are the fog light bulbs. Got some for my 95 GT Mustang and they are not any brighter than the regular incandescent bulbs. If anything, they're slightly dimmer. And at the time, I bought the brightest ones they sell. Of course they are always changing and upgrading their inventory so they may end up selling some better ones at some point but for now those fog light bulbs are kinda weak. Probly why I'll be going with HID fog lights in that car.

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
The festoon bulb I ordered was a 4410-x9.  I just can't honestly recall if it is natural white or cool white.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Ffestoon_4410-x9.htm

I did a quick swap in the dark with the old incandescent bulb.  The LED does have a nice clear and bright light to it, but it just does not spread out as well as the incandescent bulb.  Perhaps I should have tried the 4410-AHP12-DI for a better light pattern, but it only came in amber and I didn't think it would be the most pleasant interior light.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
Yeah one of the main reasons I went with an LED festoon is because the factory setup is pretty ill designed. When I got my truck, the original bulb had melted the lens, as well as that silver plastic backplate for the lens. I'll probly still upgrade to a better unit out of a newer vehicle.

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
Got my LED's for the backup lights on my blue whale.

I wasn't sure which would be the best/brightest so I ordered 3 kinds.  They also double up as the licence plate lights so the "crappier" ones will be placed there.  Unfortunately my licence plate only had 1 light fixture left int he bumper, it was also so rusted that it didn't work on its own, need to buy a couple replacements.

The far right bulb wins.

Far right vs. stock incandescent:

Far right vs. middle LED's:

Far right vs far left LED's:

And of course both of the bright LED's:

So many pictures because I know everyone likes pictures around here  ;D

Also, I ordered some red wedge type bulbs for my tailgate clearance lights.....then I realized those clearance lights are sealed and the bulbs are not replaceable.  But I do believe I can buy them with LED's anyways, so I'm going to check that out one day.....if I remember.