Author Topic: Fixing Cigarette Lighter - 1984 GMC High Sierra (Video + Pics)  (Read 14019 times)

Offline jdguthr1986

• LOLcats rule!
Good evening, guys. I hope that your day has gone well.

The reason for my topic is that I would like to get the cigarette lighter working in my truck.

Here is a quick video showing the culpritand explaining a bit:  http://youtu.be/myJK94wwerg

And here are photographs:

Solutions to try:
 - Could it be a fuse?
 - Can I wire it directly to the battery? (How would I do this)
 - Can I draw power from another source (I don't care about future integrity of the wiring here, just looking to get power)

Thank you for taking the time to review my issue - If you have anything to say I would love to hear it.

Jonathan

Offline jdguthr1986

• LOLcats rule!
Re: Fixing Cigarette Lighter - 1984 GMC High Sierra (Video + Pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »
Also, my iPhone ######### Please call or text if you'd like. Thank you!

removed your number for privacy.  you don't want to put this on a forum with thousands of people searching it..  -Admin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:33:03 PM by Captkaos »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
     You said it has power ?  Did you test it with a test light with the ignition on ? 
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline jdguthr1986

• LOLcats rule!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »
What I meant to say was that it appears to have power. but does not. I have not tested it. I will do that now. (if I have a light)

Offline jdguthr1986

• LOLcats rule!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
Okay, I tested: No power to the lighter. I did find a hot wire, but it's too far of a stretch. Would I be able to splice the wires together and get sufficient power out of the cigarette lighter? And would speaker wire work for that?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »
     Speaker wire will be too thin.  Use the same gauge wire that is on the back of it now, and make sure you run it to a source that is powered by your ignition switch, you would not want to run your battery down if you leave something plugged in over night or something like that .
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
Unless something has changed,  I would think there would be an easier solution that rewiring it. Check the fuses to see if one is blown. Then, take the lighter out, clean everything up, and reinstall. If memory serves correct, the ground is where it screws together and makes contact with the frame of the ash tray door. If power supply isnt the problem, then a new one won't fix it. You said "it appears to have power, but does not" I'm a bit confused whether there is power to the existing wire or not? Your problem could be a ground issue.
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
Unless something has changed,  I would think there would be an easier solution that rewiring it. Check the fuses to see if one is blown. Then, take the lighter out, clean everything up, and reinstall. If memory serves correct, the ground is where it screws together and makes contact with the frame of the ash tray door. If power supply isnt the problem, then a new one won't fix it. You said "it appears to have power, but does not" I'm a bit confused whether there is power to the existing wire or not? Your problem could be a ground issue.

Promisekeeper is right, trace down the orange wire that is hooked up the cigarette lighter (at least I think it is in the pic), to see why it does not have power.  If you are not good at tracing down electrical problems, maybe get someone to help, if you can not and need it asap, do like I said and make sure it is a power source that is key operated.

74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline jdguthr1986

• LOLcats rule!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
I found a key-operated power source and spliced it and it works well now.

Thank you, Bake! Maybe I will be able to help you one day!