Author Topic: New to forum 1981 C10  (Read 2262 times)

Offline jon316

New to forum 1981 C10
« on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
Hello everyone, glad to of joined seen plenty of info as it is. But I’ve got a few things I would to discuss with others about my project. It’s a 1981 C10 it had a 5.3/4L60E swap from a 2004 Silverado put in. Engine and trans all bolted up as well as driveshaft all that’s left is all the wiring and bolting on some of the engine parts and accessories.

My question is I found a hole at the rear of the intake completely open. Not sure what it is, and the intake sounds like there’s water in there, thought about cleaning it with something but being plastic not sure what to use, would degreaser be fine? Don’t want to ruin any sensors there. I also have the electronic pedal would it be best to swap that to cable throttle body or is it straight through to just throw on the pedal and sensor in stock location of the current throttle pedal?

I’ve got quite the work ahead of me. Luckily a friend is good with tuning and etc, and he will help just make a whole new harness for it from scratch.

Ac is another topic, I had seen it was the R4 so I thought of just getting the brackets to run it but it’s an R4 V-belt that sat on the drivers side, so I don’t know what to if I should mix it with a system from a 87-90 pickup tbi engine or run the sanden etc.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I’ve had several square bodies but this is my first LS swap one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: New to forum 1981 C10
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 11:15:42 AM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline jon316

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:56 AM »
Alright so figured out the hole! It’s cam sensor. Ordered that. Got the alternator and maf in my cart ready. Will be doing harness soon.

Have another question, I have an external fuel pump regulator kit for the swap, but the truck has dual tanks and apparently they worked. Anyone keep them going? I’d imagine fuel pump would just have to sit in front of where the fuel selector is.

One more question, what do I do with this vacuum line that has a green cap? Can’t seem to find the same setup on the pictures of swaps I’ve seen. As you can see the tubing is kinked and cut ooff toward end where it turns to a metal pipe.

Offline jon316

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:47:41 AM »
Parts are slowly starting to come in. Soon I will make time to get started on it. I was able to move it to my back yard this weekend and threw a cover on it. I noticed that camshaft hole sensor might of been a perfect spot for water to go in considering the firewall where the cowl ends is shot and has holes. Whatever water collected in the cowl probably made its way into there. And I was right checked the oil and it’s a tiny bit thick and light colored as if it had some water. Not too much though. Any recommendations on the procedure for that? Should I run a mystery oil or something on first crank then drain and change it again(so technically three oil changes). It’s so bad I couldn’t even put cam sensor in even with some oil on the packing. I pulled it back out and the tip had rust debris. This is gonna be interesting!!

That’s the one I ordered...don’t see any different configurations so I’m hoping it will go in, unless maybe they broke the end on it and the tip is stuck in there.